Q For Sugar Shack And Those Who Use Her Stack Method

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by dtmc

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 8

OK-- I watch the Successful stacking DVD 2x per week at work because I have a number of large cakes coming up and want to know how to make them as close to perfect as possible.

I love the foam core boards because they add extra height.

However, I just want to know if you do any stacking on site? You never mention what steps are best done in the kitchen vs on site. icon_confused.gif

Also, do you think as an alternative, it would be OK to place the cake along with foamcore boards on wilton separator plates and hidden pillars as a way to opt out of using the bubble teas and 2 dowel rods?

Hope my questions make sense.

Thanks in advance

7 replies
aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 8

I love sugarshacks method but I am unable to drive them all stacked because of the weight on my back. I have no doubt in my mind that it would work I just can't physically lift a 4 tiered cake. I do all the straws and press down with the pan and level until I have about 2 inches of the straws still exposed. Once on site I finish stacking them. Because I am on site I do not do the final center dowel through the entire cake, although I do bring a regular dowel to help coax the cakes down.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:58am
post #3 of 8

I do all my stacking at home b/c hubby can carry the heavy ones. If I were to have the need to stack on site, I would do it exactly the way I do it in the DVD. I would pop my tiers in the freezer at the venue for 10 minutes and then transfer them over to the sticking out straws.

I do not see any reason the same basic method cannot be used with plates and pillars. HTH

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! you all are the best.

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 8

Where do you all get the bubble tea straws? I really want to try these. I have looked online, but I only find black large drinking straws. Are these straws used and do they support well?

BTW...I just watched Sugarshack's Boxes and Bows this weekend. My hubby got me the DVD for Valentines. I LOVED IT! Thanks Sugarshack!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 8

Do a google search for bubble tea straws and you find several sites to order from.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 8

[quote="dtmc"]Where do you all get the bubble tea straws? I really want to try these. I have looked online, but I only find black large drinking straws. Are these straws used and do they support well?[quote]

I get mine from my local Asian market. There cheap and easy to use!

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 8

So what size do you get at the Asian market? Are these the same as drinking straws? I have seen drinking straws like at Costco or Smart n Final, but I wasn't sure if these are the same and if they are sturdy enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%