Convection Oven Owners...please Help!

Business By babeebk Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm by MBHazel

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 9

New vs Used, Half vs Full, Single Phase vs Three, Gas vs Electric...Decisions...decisions...

There are so many factors to consider when purchasing an oven. As many of you may already know, I'm opening a cupcake bakery in the next couple months and I'm to the point now of selecting equipment. Preferably I'd like to go used as my oven budget is $2K.

- Do I need a full sized oven or will a half-size be good enough? I guess this will be dictated by demand...but I won't know my demand until I'm open...hmmph

- The space I will be leasing is wired for an electric oven but the owner will run the gas line for me if I want him to (at no cost to me!)...I've heard that temp control is better with a gas oven. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. The space already has a vent hood installed.

- Single phase vs Three phase...does it matter?

- Where can I buy a deluxe oven? Heard lots about them here on CC but the restaurant supply co here in town has never heard of them.

- Fan speeds...need some insight on this

- Are there any brands that are better for cupcakes? Please advise.

Thank you all very much in advance!

8 replies
TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,
There are a few things to consider buying a convection oven.

I have an electric because with a gas one you need a hood and exhaust fan with will add $5000 to the cost

I direct vented my oven to the back wall so that saved me a ton of money

1) go full size as you can do a full three tier wedding cake at once in a full size single convection ove.

2) I bought a Duke on Ebay for $1,000. It came from a baker and was almost new. I paid $300 for shipping thru Uship.com and another $200 to have it installed.

Be careful on the power.. I takes it's own circuit breaker and I burned my first coils out in 3 months since I didn't know the power usage in my space ( a $600 mistake OUCH!)

It is a single phase oven. I have only used large floor mixers that were 3 phase since I used to own a pizzeria I had a 60 quart Hobart

I hope this helps and if you need anymore info PM me

Michael

babeebk Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

Michael, thanks so much!

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 9

On the deluxe ovens, just go to deluxeovensdotcom and you will find they sell to the general public. I just received pricing from them and one of them is going to be around $3100 plus $173 to ship by freight method to my area. I will be receiving a discount before I order because of joining ICES, so ask about that. You might get some better advice than me from someone more experienced, but from what I have researched, this is a great oven especially for cupcakes since there is no blowing from a convection. There is a heating element at each rack level. I am going with the CR2-3. I hope this helps.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 9

I have a deluxe oven for my wedding cake shop and my cupcakes.

I just started a cupcake business 10 weeks ago at my local farmers market.

I bought my oven, new, 8 years ago and I have never had a problem with it. I have the 3 shelf.

I love my deluxe oven. thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #6 of 9

some places do not have triple phase available...so you'll need to check that out.

i got an electric, because i had spent all my$$$...and didn't have an extra few K to invest for a hood for gas.

i have a southbend, i got it new, i think it was about 4K if i remember right...i love it...(cept i can't make cheesecake).

i saw someone on here got a killer deal on ebay...was it 200.00? wow that would rock, i guess it worked perfect too.

Good Luck...this part of the process is exciting and scary huh?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 9

I just ordered my Deluxe on Friday CR-2-4 I'm supposed to get it today or tomorrow! icon_biggrin.gif

I got a full size oven. I thought about a half but I don't want to have to upgrade later. I want to be able to bake more at one time.

Anyway, Single phase will cost you less to install if you don't already have the wiring for three phase. But in the long run three phase will cost you less to operate(eletric bill) it uses less wattage or something.....My dad's an electrical inspector and he did the electric work for me and because my building wasn't set up for three phase I would have had to pay the electric company to come out and run new lines for me which would have been $$$$

babeebk Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 9

Did you all order your deluxe ovens directly from their website or through a dealer?

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 9

My understanding is that GAS is great for stove top cooking, but that for baking electric is better.

I use electric for baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%