Piping Gel Over Fondant?

Decorating By HoHo5 Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm by HoHo5

HoHo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoHo5 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 9

It's me again!
;]
I am making a waterfall for my son's birthday cake.
I was thinking of putting some tiny fondant fish in the water.
Does the piping gel on top of the fondant break it down?

Also, I am making homemade fondant, but find it can be hit or miss.
Do you guys make your own fondant or do you buy it?
If you make it, do you have a fool proof recipe?
If you buy it, what brand do you use?

Thanks again for any tips!
;]

8 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 9

i've not found that piping gel breaks down fondant, but i've also never let it sit on overnight or anything. i make mine from the recipe that has lemon juice in it, and it's super yummy! i used it for the star spangled banner competition cake, the friday the 13 cake (blood), and the lighthouse wedding cake...no problems.

the piping gel was on the jason cake probably the longest since i had to transport it. i put it on that morning, probably around 10 or so, then transported it to knoxville (3 hours away), and didn't serve it until 6 or 7 seven that night.

like i said, piping gel recipe made from scatch and with lemon juice, fondant homemade from marsmallows.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 9

I used piping gel over handpainted fondant for the water on the frog/fairy cake in my photos and for the GB packers fondant logo. Both sat overnight with no problems. In fact my SIL still has the GB logo. I use homemade fondant (Both MMF and regular rolled). There's no place around here to buy ready made (except Wilton, of course which is pretty nasty tasting).

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 9

Piping gel will not break your fondant down. I painted it all over one of my fondant cakes and applied sanding sugar all over and it sat for days just fine.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 9

I never had a problem with the piping gel on any of my cakes and I put fondant rocks on my castle cake and it lasted over night and past the party you could see the rocks very well and I used it for my bridal shower dress it is good stuff if anything it hardens a little I've used on mmf and wilton fondant edible images etc... big fan of pipping gel lots of uses for it... and fool proof mmf as well.

MIXINVIXEN : could you share your recpie for you pipping gel or where I can get the recpie from I would love to try and make my own I'm always buying it.... icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9

it's under the recipes section, "piping gel that works"

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6998-3-Piping-Gel-That-Works.html

it's very tasty, and it worked really well! for the blood on the friday the 13th cake, i obviously had to add alot of red, but it took the color really well....main thing, though, is the taste.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 9

HoHo5, I think you also asked about a fondant recipe. I use Michelle Fosters recipe here in CC. I've never had it fail and it tastes so much better than Wilton, which is all I can buy where I live. Of course you can order online, but homemade is much cheeper.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the recpie hope to try it soon thumbs_up.gif

HoHo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoHo5 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, thank you for the recipe!
;]
I'll try that one next!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%