Interview Tomorrow With Bakery, Need Ideas On What To Bring.

Decorating By AmandaPanda Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm by susanscakecreations

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 26

I have an interview for a decorator position at a local bakery. I will be interviewing with the owner. They said that it will be a hands on interview so I am expecting to probably have to show them that I am capable of doing simple things like a shell boarder, roses and things like that.

For bakery owners what kind of skills do you look for in your decorators? They have seen photos of my work, that is how I got the interview was by emailing them photos of my work and asking if they needed part time help. Anyway I just want to make sure I have my skills down because I do work more with fondant than I do with BC and I am not familiar with all the Terminology used for BC boarders and such though I can do just about all of it.

I am also thinking of making something out of the fondant I have leftover from my last order but don't really know what to make. I do not have time to make any gumpaste flowers because they will not dry in time (I have to make it tomorrow morning) so I am at a little bit of a loss as to what I could make out of the fondant.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. I am kinda freakin out a bit because I work form home and my boss is 1000 miles away from me lol and it has been this way for 3 years, I don't know know what it is like to be on an actual job interview and definitely have not been on a bakery interview.

Thanks
Amanda

25 replies
craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 26

I only bake for fun so I can't help you but wanted to wish you luck!! Wish I were good enough to work part time in a bakery.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 26

I'm also going into a bakery tomorrow for a decorating test. I'm so nervous! I guess I'm going to bring at least one of each of my most used tips, flower nail, couplers, spatulas, and my straight edge decorating comb. I'm sure I'll bring a lot more once I start packing my toolbox. I'll probably end up bringing everything that can fit. icon_lol.gif It will be tough decorating in a strange kitchen. Good luck and thanks for bringing up the topic. It will be nice to see what others recommend.

AmandaPanda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:39am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I'm also going into a bakery tomorrow for a decorating test. I'm so nervous! I guess I'm going to bring at least one of each of my most used tips, flower nail, couplers, spatulas, and my straight edge decorating comb. I'm sure I'll bring a lot more once I start packing my toolbox. I'll probably end up bringing everything that can fit. icon_lol.gif It will be tough decorating in a strange kitchen. Good luck and thanks for bringing up the topic. It will be nice to see what others recommend.

oh wow you are actually bringing your tools lol? I didn't even think about that ... they just told me to show up and they would provide the apron lol. I just assumed they would have everything I needed to decorate. hmmmm.

jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 26

I guess it's ok. I'm more comfortable using my own tools. Who knows? Maybe they'll say no way. Now I'm really nervous!

AmandaPanda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 26
Quote:

I guess it's ok. I'm more comfortable using my own tools. Who knows? Maybe they'll say no way. Now I'm really nervous!

You definitely don't have anything to worry about! Your cakes are amazing and flawless! Make sure and post to let me know how it goes tomorrow!

I work full time already at home (working now lol) and just want something on the side to get OUT of this house, I already sew leotards and bake cakes for friends and family so EVERY SINGLE money making hobby I have outside of my full time job I also do at home and it is starting to really wear me down and get really old, like decorating cakes isn't even fun for me anymore because I am so sick of looking at my house so I am really hoping that they like me tomorrow and we can work a schedule that will benefit us both.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 26

I have interviewed several times for different bakeries, over the years. I always brought a rose stick with me and my personal scissors, for removing the rose. Some bakeries make their roses on a nail and I wanted to be prepared. Other than that, they should have all of the equipment you would need to use.
I would have something in mind of what you would want to do on a cake if they ask you to decorate one. Keep it rather simple so you can complete it quickly.
Show your enthusiasm for decorating and becoming a part of their business.

jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #8 of 26

Thanks! Your cakes are beautiful too! I also am trying to get the job mostly so I can get out of the house. I've worked from home the last few years decorating cakes so I'm constantly here. It would be nice to get away from that but still get to decorate.

Thanks Jean! I forgot about the scissors. I've gotten out of practice with making strictly buttercream cakes. It will be a challenge not to be able to reach for the fondant whenever I want.

jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 26

Well, I got the decorating position. I tried not to be nervous but I couldn't help it. They asked me to decorate a simple cake with scrollwork and I was not happy with it at all. But they liked it enough to put it in the display case and hire me. It will just be a couple of days a week which is fantastic for me. I'm pretty excited to start but they don't need me to start until March so I guess in the meantime I'll practice some all buttercream cakes since that is what they do a lot of. I hope yours goes well Amanda!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 26

Well of course you got the position. Your cakes are amazing. The cake you have on your home page is one of my most favorite cakes ever. They are lucky to have you. I hope they're paying you what you're worth. icon_wink.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 26

Congratulations!

jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 26

Thanks so much!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 26

Congratulations, JSmith. Your cakes are great. thumbs_up.gif

AmandaPanda, Good luck! Try not to be too nervous. You'll do fine. icon_smile.gif

Lisa

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 26

WOW... Your cakes ARE great! I didn't look earlier, but you do beautiful work!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 26

Congrats Janelle on the job! I have no idea why you were nervous. Your cakes are absolutely amazing. The cake on your homepage is fabulous as are all the pics there.

P.S. Thanks for the tutorials!

Amanda your cakes look fantastic too! I'm sure you'll do great on your interview.

icon_smile.gif

AmandaPanda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 26

ok well I still do not know about the interview..... the lady that owns the bakery and does all the hiring work full time somewhere else lol so the way they do it is they give you a round cake and a sheet cake tell you to ice and decorate any way you want. I didn't like that lol because it gives me too many options and I am indecisive, I wish they would have given me and example of an order I could duplicate that would have been great. I only had time to do ice both cakes but decorate one because I had to get kids form school (which they knew before scheduling the interview) Anyway I decorated the sheet with a shell boarder on the bottom reverse shell on the top and then I did some BC roses and drop flowers. I think it was ok but we are always our own worst critics. I did meet the owner and they said that next interview will be a sit down one since it will have to be with the owner and she wasn't actually working today. I think what really helped me though was my photos I brought in and I made a fondant elephant (he is in my photos) this morning and brought him in and gave him to them and they all raved over him, they loved him and told me that they were going to name him lol. So they seemed to love my work and my elephant, I am hoping that is enough to carry me through to the "next round". I actually have a pretty good feeling about it despite the shock of having to decorate a cake and having no clue what they were looking for or what they wanted me to do. if I had more time I would have done a basketweave on the round cake so it kinda sucks I didn't have time for it.

anyway I will keep you all updated as to what is next.

OH and congrats on getting the position! I knew you would icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #17 of 26

I would have hired you on the spot based on your fondant elephant alone!! thumbs_up.gif Great job. I've tried several times to save him to my favorites, but there's something wrong with CC right now....I can't post a comment about your picture or save it?????
But anyway, great work, and keep us posted!!

AmandaPanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

I would have hired you on the spot based on your fondant elephant alone!! thumbs_up.gif Great job.

aw ... thank you!

jsmith Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #19 of 26

Oh my goodness, your elephant is so cute! You're definitely a shoe in. I know what you mean about not knowing how to decorate the cakes. They told me the same thing and I think I stared at the cake for 20 min. until they recommended a scrollwork design. I hope they let you know soon!

AmandaPanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #20 of 26
Quote:

Oh my goodness, your elephant is so cute! You're definitely a shoe in. I know what you mean about not knowing how to decorate the cakes. They told me the same thing and I think I stared at the cake for 20 min. until they recommended a scrollwork design. I hope they let you know soon!

Thanks! Yeah I wish they would have at least given me an idea of what to do. At least tell me for a kids birthday or some sort of idea on skills they were looking for lol I think the hardest thing was given a blank pallet with 50 different tips and a 50 pound tub of icing that I can do what I want with and no theme to run with lol. you would think it would be easy but it really was not.

I really really hope that since they do more wedding and fondant work on the weekends and that is when I want to work that they will want me more more fondant than for BC anyway lol they seem to have enough BC people already and apparently only have 1 person that works more with fondant.

AmandaPanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #21 of 26

ok I have a little update, nothing major.

I stopped into another local bakery this morning just on a whim. It is not as well known and is a newer bakery but does the same things as the first bakery I interviewed at. The difference is that the bakery I already interviewed at has won all these best bakery in town awards and such because they have been around for a little while and just are bigger in general.

Anyway I stopped by, bought a pastry and talked to the owner and showed her my portfolio and told her I was looking for friday/saturday work and she mentioned that she has not been able to find people with the skills and talent to work for her and everyone wanting a job are people who have never iced a cake before and just want to learn, so she actually seemed excited to talk to me and she seemed excited at the possibility of me working with them. I took an application and I am going to go back by and talk to them, so now IF I get the job at the first bakery I just have to decide, do I want to work in a very fast paced bakery (which BTW their decorator room is TINY! it is like 12x12 foot and is pretty cramped!) or do I want to work in a smaller bakery a little less known but be able to do the same work, possibly even help her out by making some displays and make a name for myself that way being the only real decorator there other than the owners, because this second bakery I am about 99.999% sure that they will hire me.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #22 of 26

Me being kinda chicken would take the first one that comes along. The owner who is excited about you is worth much more than the other owner who may or may not call.

And you can use it for leverage too with the first place. Say bakery owner gives you that second job you applied for. Say you'll call her back with your decision. Call bakery number one and say, "I'm being offered another job what's up with y'all?" in a diplomatic way of course.

But be prepared to play the game--if somehow owner of bakery #2 got wind...

I mean both places offer a great opportunity.
I loved being a bakery decorator. Loved it.
It's very physical work--you gotta be tough.

AmandaPanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Me being kinda chicken would take the first one that comes along. The owner who is excited about you is worth much more than the other owner who may or may not call.

And you can use it for leverage too with the first place. Say bakery owner gives you that second job you applied for. Say you'll call her back with your decision. Call bakery number one and say, "I'm being offered another job what's up with y'all?" in a diplomatic way of course.

But be prepared to play the game--if somehow owner of bakery #2 got wind...

I mean both places offer a great opportunity.
I loved being a bakery decorator. Loved it.
It's very physical work--you gotta be tough.

thanks I am actually leaning toward bakery #2 because it isn't as fast paced as bakery #1. I kinda like the idea of being the "main decorator" other than the owners of the bakery, and I think it would offer a better stepping stone for creativity with them if they allow me to do some displays and such. As for bakery #1, the 2 main things are first there might be more exciting cakes with it being a more well known bakery and it might pay more, BUT that is just a thought no real knowledge of that for sure, BUT bakery #2 might have better chance for growth being the only real hired decorator.

my mom and husband seem to think that I should just go with bakery #2 as well. Oh and part of the reason I want a decorator job is the physicalness of it. I am a very active person and a runner and I currently have a full time job sitting on my butt for 8 hours a day and it gets depressing I think this will help my mood being up and active in my job for a change even if it is just part time on the side.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

Well, I got the decorating position. I tried not to be nervous but I couldn't help it. They asked me to decorate a simple cake with scrollwork and I was not happy with it at all. But they liked it enough to put it in the display case and hire me. It will just be a couple of days a week which is fantastic for me. I'm pretty excited to start but they don't need me to start until March so I guess in the meantime I'll practice some all buttercream cakes since that is what they do a lot of. I hope yours goes well Amanda!

Congratulations! icon_smile.gif

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #25 of 26

Dear AmandaPanda: I vote for Bakery #2. Good luck in whatever happens, I know you'll do the right thing that's best for you.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #26 of 26

Good luck to both of you!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%