Cake Balls Texture

Decorating By vcm_9 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm by xstitcher

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I have made cake balls a couple of times, but they always end up so DENSE!! Is this normal?? I mean very very very dense. Having said that, I usually use mud cake (cause thats what is in the freezer).

Any ideas on how to lightenn them up?? a bit more cake-y rather than super-dense-fudge-like-that-gets-caught-in-your-teeth texture?

7 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 8

I'm interested ~ I have some dreamscle cake balls in the freezer and am waiting to coat them. I have such a hard time getting the chocolate to lay smooth. icon_sad.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 8

They should be dense, and not mushy at all, in my opinion. You might add just a little buttercream to make them not quite so dense.

K2cakes - E-mail me, I can tell you about the perfect little tool for dipping cake balls.

Jen icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

They should be dense, and not mushy at all, in my opinion. You might add just a little buttercream to make them not quite so dense.

K2cakes - E-mail me, I can tell you about the perfect little tool for dipping cake balls.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Hi Jen,

I'd love to hear about this tool too, please let me know if it's ok to email you as well.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:57am
post #5 of 8

Not sure what the tool is but I have bought both the metal and plastic candy dipping tools (by Wilton, I think) and they just suck.... I use a plain old dinner fork, long tined variety and for me the trick is to invert.

Between that, proper draining and the temp of the chocolate, I have greatly reduced the amount of cakeballs with feet icon_lol.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:10am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Jen icon_smile.gif

Hi- I hope it's OK if I e-mail you as well. I really do like the idea of cake truffles, I hate to throw away the extra cake scraps. TIA for sharing. ~Heidi

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 8

Sure it's ok if you e-mail me. I have to respect the rules on CC....

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Jen, emailing now! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%