Supporting 6" Tiers

Decorating By jjkarm Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 2:09am by kakeladi

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 6

I have a bride who wants a 4 tier cake with each tier being 6" tall. If I make 3 - 2" layers, whats the best way to support it? Can I stack all 3 layers without extra support or do I need to have 2 layers one one board, and the third on a separate board with support underneath it. It would be strange to serve 2" layers of cake... icon_confused.gif Help - Any ideas????

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I've done a few of these.........I love the taller tiers. I bake 2 - 3" layers, torte and fill them and assemble as I would 4" tiers. They end up around 6 1/2" tall. Be sure to tell the bride she'll need dinner size plates when serving, since the dessert size are usually 5".

Don't forget to adjust your pricing also, since the serving sizes will be 50% (2") taller, you really can't cut the slices much thinner than 1" thick.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

I assemble it like two 3" cakes stacked with all the usual support and then iced as one. Easy for transport, cutting, plating, and serving calculation.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 6

I don't own any 3" pans. Is there a way to do it without buying new 3" pans, or should I just bite the bullet and invest in them anyway? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #5 of 6

I've only made them with the 2 - 3" layers. If you think it's something you will use, I'd buy the 3".

Whenever I buy new pans I buy 3", I even bake my 2" layers in them. It just keeps my inventory down to a minimum, I don't have enough storage for 2 and 3" pans.

I guess you could make 3 layers a little less than 2" each, don't torte them just fill them so you have 3 layers of cake and filling to equal 6".

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 6

You do not need 3" pansicon_smile.gif Just bake three 2" layers; torte. For each tier to be 6" tall you would use 5 of those 1" layers (w/filling between them it should come out to very close to 6").
Is that clear as mud?? Sorry it is a clear pic in my mindicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%