Where Do You Put The Oven Rack?

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm by kakeladi

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 3

I've baked for years and YES this is a simplistic question but it always says to have your rack in the middle of the oven. Does it really mean the exact middle. I just measured mine and it is a total of 16" opening and I have the rack on 10"! Should I move it down to 8" or what?"
Gosh, I've been baking for ever and never gave it a thought.
I guess if it is working ok then I should leave it but would things bake better with it 2" lower? Things bake ok but would it be better?
Thanks,
Susie

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 3

LOL, are your results good? If so, then keep doing what you're doing.

I am experimenting with recipes from Shirley Corriher's book, Bakewise, and she advocates baking in the lower third of the oven and using a baking stone. So far, I'm loving everything I've made thus far...but for my own recipes that I've honed to my own liking, I'll stick with baking in the middle of the oven.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 3

I agree w/Cake pro......if it's working why change? I'm sure it has a lot to do w/older ovens. OUr 'new & improved' ovens probably are so well insulated and thought out it won't make a difference.
At times I have put as many as 4 smaller cakes in the oven so some were closer to the top and some to the bottom. It worked so who knowsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%