Ribbon For Wedding Cake?

Decorating By braggmama2 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm by braggmama2

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 10

My friend would like ribbon on her wedding cake. Any suggestions of where to buy interesting/high quality ribbon? I am striking out at the local craft stores. Her colors are cornflower blue (David's Bridal's version) and chocolate brown. Thanks for any help you can offer!

9 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

Have you tried going to a fabric store, such as Hancock Fabrics or Joann's? I've had good luck finding nice ribbon there (after striking out at Michaels).

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 10

I have bought at Walmart, but they don't have alot of selection, try on line. I found some once but cant remember the site. Just do a search. The site I found mine had ALOT of ribbon to choose from.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 10

definitely try hobby lobby if you have one, or Michael's. if not, go to your local fabric store. My local store was thrilled someone wanted to buy ribbon by the spool and made me great deals.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 10

Or make fondant ribbon. That's what I do. And fondant has the advantage of being food safe.

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 10

i have a question also that is similar to this, i have to do a wedding cake also with ribbon, but my question is attaching it to itself once it's wrapped around, double sided tape is what i thought, is there any trick to it??? i heard about using tape on the back side so the grease doesn't bleed through...........sorry about injecting on this thread icon_redface.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 10

I found ribbon that's a close match the DB color at Joann fabrics....it's called Antique Blue. I'm wondering if you can search for it on line and buy it off of their website (if you don't have one close to you).

I just pulled out what I had left over from the wedding back in Sept...it is made by a company called Offray and there is a website for them on the spool....www.offray.com

OR Joann's sku # is 5811369

HTH!!!!

Good luck!

-Michelle

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newathis

i have a question also that is similar to this, i have to do a wedding cake also with ribbon, but my question is attaching it to itself once it's wrapped around, double sided tape is what i thought, is there any trick to it??? i heard about using tape on the back side so the grease doesn't bleed through...........sorry about injecting on this thread icon_redface.gif

I use a tiny drop of royal icing as I felt that it held better than tape for me. The tape kept coming undone.

But, I am curious to hear how others adhere the ribon...

icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 10

Fabric stores and Hobby Lobby have every kind of ribbon you can think of around here.

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%