Non-Crooked Cake

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm by THECAKEPLACE

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

I am having the worst time trying to learn how to fill end level my cake(360) i watch shows but everyone does it so many ways i am just so frustrated. i don't know any one around me to teach me so i have to count on television and you-tube to teach me. if anyone knows of any sites that will help me i would greatly appreciate it! what i am looking for is how to make butter cream cake (look smooth like fondant) and how to make fondant covered cakes look smooth and not bumpy. i really enjoy making cakes but i suck!
thanks for taking the time to read about my troubles

8 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 9

A good way to go is go on ebay and purchase the Wilton course books. If you are not an ebay customer email me privately and I can send you some used ones for free, I teach the classes and have some I have cut parts off the covers for a poster.
To make your buttercream smooth check out Melvira's method on CC home page, works the best and fastest for me.
For getting your fondant smooth, the buttercream you use as a base coat on your cake has to be smooth.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

thats the things with cakes - theres about a dozen different ways to do any one thing! and often, it simply comes down to practice and experience.
do u have any pics of the cakes you have done? its often the case that we judge them so much harder than others do.
theres a lot of posts on how to get a smooth finish to your buttercream, including a lot of different recipies. the best general tip i found is to put lots on, and use scraping it off to get a smooth start.
for smooth fondant, its worth getting a smoother to do the job, much better than hands. and as u work round the cake, lift the bottom of the fondant away, it helps to prevent pleating. (lots of posts on this too)
good luck. whats the next cake you have planned?
xx

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 9

Everything you ever wanted to know to bake, assemble and decorate your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above has info and recipes for b/c and fondant and various ways to apply and smooth. Also links to other sites w/decorating (and other) help.

HTH

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

i really enjoy making cakes but i suck!

Do not get down on yourself. You are on the best source of cake decorating information available.

For leveling ... there are several ways. I find layer cake most difficult to level. I always use bake even strips, but still often need to cut off a crown level with the top of the pan. Truly, I have an actual plastic level that I use for layer cakes. I use a generous amount of frosting between layers and before frosting the cake (other than the frosting between layers), I put my level on it and press down wherever it's too high. I'll do it on at least three angles.

Buttercream can be smoothed out with a Viva paper towel. Viva because it's soft and has NO pattern on it. You must do this after the froting has dried a bit ... maybe at least 15 minutes after frosting.

Fondant ... I have no experience to shar with you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

As soon as you can afford one, purchase an Agbay. That's a sure fire way to cut your cakes so that they are actually level. Then if you're stacking them, use SPS. As far as smoothing the outside, you've been given great advice above.

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 9

WOW I love this site! thanks everyone for all your advice. First thank you ballymena I will take you up on your offer, brincess-b I read many times that I should put a lot on but I am scared I will take too much off. then i would be stuck and back on cc bugging everyone. JanH thank you so much you have helped me a few times today alone! littlelinda I think my main problem with filling and cutting cake is trying to make the cakes even, for ex if I wanted three 6'' cakes i am afraid that on will be tall than the other or shorter. and last but not least leahs what is a agbay and where do I get one? also what is sps?

Thanks everyone
ariel

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 9

Just follow the info in my signature line for SPS.

www.agbayproducts.com

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

thanks so much leahs, now i have no choice but to purchase one. they are amazing I can't wait to order it and try it out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%