Gumpaste Flowers

Business By THECAKEPLACE Updated 15 May 2009 , 9:03pm by ninatat

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #31 of 40

I am absolutely not going to made the sugar flowers for someone if they aren't going to pay for them. I work 4 jobs and my time is precious. I prefer to make my own flowers for the same reason stated above. I have 2 or 3 chefs in the area who buy my flowers to put on their cake and it's true, some people are shocked at the price. Oh well. I charge $3, $5 and $7 for my roses depending on the size, $20-$25 per orchid. $5 per calla lily and $1.25 per cherry blossom ( I can make 10 in 30 minutes and I'm pretty fast). the cake in my gallery that is orange/red/yellow was $250 just for the flowers. I was also told to charge what the florists charge, but I also take into account my time and expenses.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #32 of 40

OMG Korkyo, I can't believe you only charge $55 for those flowers! To me, sugar flowers are top of the line. There's buttercream, silk or fresh flowers, but sugar flowers give a look like no other.

Maybe people don't understand the amount of work and artistry that goes into making flowers.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #33 of 40

There was a list posted once that showed an entire list of what someone was charging per flower or spray, which I saved just as a starting-point in case I ever make GP.

I don't do GP flowers because I'm not as good at them and I don't want to take the time (too busy, too lazy, whatever, just not that into them). If brides want them, and since no one here wants to pay $20 per, I order them from Wholesale Sugar Flowers online. I can take hours to make a single orchid, or I can get a whole BOX of them for like $9. Unless it's something I can't find online, then I'll make it and charge accordingly.

I just had a guy call me last week to order *just* the flowers, and he wanted 3" hibiscus blooms. Told him I could order them for about $1.50+ ea or whatever the price was online, plus shipping, and he said he'd found someone local who would HAND make them for a buck apiece. I told him to go for it. No WAY they're making any $ with those prices. duh

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #34 of 40

I know I just charged $50 for one Magnolia..If they dont want to pay a lot for the ones I make, they have the choice of bough gumpaste flowers(wich I find less pretty), or fresh.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #35 of 40

Chef_Stef (or anyone else), when you order gumpaste flowers online, do you have pretty good luck with them arriving intact or do you order quite a few extras to allow for breakage? I'm still planning on doing my own for the upcoming wedding, but I haven't even started on them yet so I'm thinking about Plan B. icon_smile.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

I don't do GP flowers because I'm not as good at them and I don't want to take the time (too busy, too lazy, whatever, just not that into them). If brides want them, and since no one here wants to pay $20 per, I order them from Wholesale Sugar Flowers online. I can take hours to make a single orchid, or I can get a whole BOX of them for like $9. Unless it's something I can't find online, then I'll make it and charge accordingly.

I order my flowers from whole sale sugar flowers too for the same reasons you mentioned.
I love this company and I usually get free shipping since I always order over $200.00.

I usually red, pink and lots of white roses that I paint to whatever color I need with petal dust.

I have one question thogh Chef_Stef: XL roses come with a hole where you are suppose to put a wire in...how do you do this?
I normally fill the whole up with GP, let it dry and then put the wire in but that doesn't work well for me.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:40am
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Chef_Stef (or anyone else), when you order gumpaste flowers online, do you have pretty good luck with them arriving intact or do you order quite a few extras to allow for breakage? I'm still planning on doing my own for the upcoming wedding, but I haven't even started on them yet so I'm thinking about Plan B. icon_smile.gif

I order GP all the time and NEVER had no one single broken piece.
They are packed very nicely.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #38 of 40

OK, Ok I'll raise my prices! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the boost.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #39 of 40

sorry couldn't delete

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #40 of 40

hi all, i was checking on line what to charge for my roses oh my i couldn't believe they charge for 1 rose. i put mine on craigs list for 25 cents

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%