Mmf Cake Due Friday! Help! First Time With Mmf!!!!!

Decorating By heater79 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm by heater79

heater79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heater79 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 31

Hi Everyone! I have always been a looker but never a poster, so here is my first post on CC.
I have a bit of a problem, I have always worked with Satin Ice Fondant, An order of mine didn't come in on time so I had to resort on using products found in my little itty bitty town, so I am using MMF for the first time, home made. My first batch I made I used colored small marshmallows. It came out with little hard bits all through it, looked like I almost cooked the marshmallows to long?!?!?! There was also other bits of powdered sugar through it, all in all as I kneaded the MMF I picked out all the bits and it was good enough to do the board. I am worried cause I have to use it for the guitar cake as well... and I am afraid the same thing will happen. What did I do Wrong???
Did I zap them to long?
Oh and I did sift the sugar first!!!!!
I also wanted to know if I can leave the MMF cake in the fridge? Or should it be out on the counter covered loosely?
The cake is to be delivered this Friday afternoon (2days)
I have the cake done with buttercream icing only and its in the fridge now setting......
Not sure if I should do the MMF today and cover it or wait?
Considering I have a lot of work ahead of me with all the details, I would like to get the MMF on today so I have all day tomorrow to do the details....
Oh and should the cake board stay out on counter or in fridge.
Thanks Heather

30 replies
jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 31

A few questions:

Did you let the MMF rest? I usually wrap it tight with saran when I'm done kneading it in the mixer and let it sit overnight, the residual heat melts any sugar lumps (I'm guilty of not sifting out of sheer laziness).

How long exactly did you microwave the marshmallows?

Which brand marshmallows? I always have issues with Jetpuff and less of a problem with the generic brand (Walmart/Bjs)

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 31

mmf does not like the fridge, it makes it slimey and sweaty and then the colors run- voice of experience. It will be fine if you do it now and leave it on the counter as long as your house is cool and not too warm. You are in Canada, i would leave it in a safe place in the basement if possible.
My MMF always gets those gritty bits in it, I divide it into smaller portions and kneed it that way and those bits disappear.

sweetcheeks75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 31

Hey there I am new too!! Second post.
I found a great recipe and tutorial on www.cakejournal.com just do a search for MMF. The instructions are great and my MMF, even my first batch, turned out really smooth.

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 31

HI, first I want you to know I'm no expert here, but Ive done about 4 batches of MMF. Never used the colored marshmallows, so don't know if that was what caused your little hard pieces. I've noticed that if the PS leaves little clumps, when you leave it in the fridge overnight to rest they will dissolve in. I also had that happen once when I didnt use enuf liquid in the recipe. I found kneading in some crisco works too.

You can put your covered cake in the fridge. Just be sure when you take it out, not to touch it until it is fully "warmed up " to room temp. It might form little drops of liquid, but they should evaporate and if you don't touch them, they won't leave a mark.

If you need time for the detail work, I personally would cover it today, and leave it out with a loose wrap to keep dust off. Will be fine, unless you have a filling in it that need refrigeration. I rarely refrigerate my MMF covered cakes.

HTH. I'm new too and just love all the things I can learn here.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 31

when I make mine I don't melt the marshmallows all the way. I stir it until they are melted and I use eneric brand. I also use the large marshmallows and have never use the coloured ones. If you are going to cover your cake make sure you have it out of the fridge long enough so you don't get any sweating from it before putting on the fondant. Once you cover your cake you should just let it sit on th counter because the fridge could make it sweat and then you MMF would be soggie. The cake board doesn't need to be in the fridge, just keep it out. Maybe the bits you are having is due to air getting at the MMF and it's hardening or you icing sugar has gotten moisture in it which will give you hard bits.
Hope this helps.
Sue

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 31

I've only ever used white marshmallows and and I usually use no name brand cause they come in a huge bag.

So, this is how I do it,

I grease a pyrex 8 cup measuring cup as well as my kitchen aid bowl and all my utensils. I add a hunk of crisco in with the marshmallows as well as the water, a bit of corn syrup, flavour and colour if needed. Microwave for about 2 min, stir and continue until just smooth and melted.

I sift about 1/2 the icing sugar needed (4 cups) into the kitchen aid mixing bowl. Add the melted marshmallow and use paddle to mix. Change to dough hook and add about 2 -3 cups icing sugar slowly. It should be a bit sticky for fondant. I take it out, grease the ball the best I can and cover with saran and let sit on counter until cool (an hour or two).

Yes, you can put the cake in the fridge. I usually don't.

HTH.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 31

I only use MMF and the best tips I can give you are to not microwave over 90 seconds; and secondly, it helps a lot if you sift the powdered sugar............other than that, follow everyone else's tips!

Good luck!

heater79 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 31

Thanks Everyone!!!!!! I will see how it comes out this afternoon! And will let you know!!!!

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 31

Hi Everyone..

I have a quick question on MMF.. I'm making a cake with buttercream frosting, but I am going to make a Fondant flag and drap it over the cake.. Is there anything that I need to do to the cake board or the cake or can I just drap my Foundant flag over it?

Thanks so much
Carissa

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 31

Carrisa,
You will be fine to just drape it over your cake. Just be sure you get it where you want it the first time. It will stick the the buttercream and be very frustrating if you need to move it. icon_smile.gif

marion123 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 31

great.. thank you so much!!

Oh,..Do I need to put anything extra in it to hold the shape? I have a receipe where it is just conf. sugar, mini marsmallows & water. One receipe said that I needed to add something to it to hold it's shape.. (can't remeber what it was)

Thank you so much

heater79 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 31

Ok so I made a batch of MMF and broke it down into 2 seperate balls and coloured them, I am not sure if I have the right consistancy tho.... They are workable as far as kneading, but when i hold them in a large ball it starts to droop or melt. Do I need to add more icing sugar?? Should I put it in the fridge wrapped to harden?

heater79 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 31

Im afraid if I get it on the cake it will start to slide off....HELP!@!@!!!!! icon_confused.gif

sweetcheeks75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 31

I would try more powdered sugar, in case it gets to hard, knead in a little crisco. I noticed to that if it was too soft i would get pock marks all of the fondant. Dont put in the fridge MMF tends to weep!

Tip:
Mine always comes better when in can rest for serveral hours or up until the next day, just keep it tighty wrap.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

heater79 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 31

OK, It has been sitting now for about 2 hours, I am going to knead in some more powdered sugar and let it rest for another couple and see how it os after that. Will keep posting.

heater79 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #17 of 31

icon_biggrin.gif Well It worked.....All went very well! The MMF turned out perfect, Thanks To ALL on here for your advise!!!! I am going to try to attach a pic of the cake....It's almost done!!!!
LL

marion123 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #18 of 31

It looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! You did such a good job!! Great work!!!!!

heater79 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #19 of 31

Thanks!!! My boyfriend thinks I should open a business, our town has nothing here really only a grocery store that does cakes, and to be quite frank, they are disgusting, the icing tastes like oil.....I guess grocery store cakes are all the same really. I really love doing it and am having an amazing time coming up with cool ideas on what to do.....Cant wait till the final step and I can see how its really going to look!!!!!!! Will post pics for sure!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #20 of 31

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Woooow it looks really nice, congratulations you did a very good job, please do not forget to post the final picture. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #21 of 31

Awesome job!!!

heater79 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #22 of 31

icon_biggrin.gif Here it is!!!!! I basically have one thing left to do and thats the strap. But none the less here is the final product!!!
LL

heater79 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #23 of 31

Here is another view!
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:30am
post #24 of 31

I'm glad it all worked out for you Heather.

You did an awesome job!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #25 of 31

Well done indeed Heather.
Looks excellant thumbs_up.gif

Bh

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:07am
post #26 of 31

looks great!

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:31am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

great.. thank you so much!!

Oh,..Do I need to put anything extra in it to hold the shape? I have a receipe where it is just conf. sugar, mini marsmallows & water. One receipe said that I needed to add something to it to hold it's shape.. (can't remeber what it was)

Thank you so much

sometimes people use gumtex a lil added to fondant, mmf or otherwise will help it to keep it's shape, I've never used it though and my fondant has always held up well as long as you allow it to dry, if it's extremely thick i would shape it let it dry and then put it on your cake, you can use anything to help it hold it's shape while drying, like a papertowel roll, or coffee can etc..
hth good luck !!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 31

Your guitar rocks, Heather! Great job!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:54pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater79

My first batch I made I used colored small marshmallows.

I think that is your problem right there. You are supposed to use the white marshmallows and knead in the color.

Great guitar, by the way! That is SO COOL! icon_biggrin.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:31pm
post #30 of 31

Great job, Heather! We all knew you could do it!!!
Your cake is FANTASTIC!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%