Wedding Cake From A Box

Decorating By terrier Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 8:16am by JanH

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 15

If I use a box mix for a wedding cake what do I have to do to it to make it hold up if I flat stack it?
This is what the bride would like white box mix cake.

Cheers,
Ally

14 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 15

If you add a small box of instant vanilla pudding per box of cake mix, it will make it a little denser and durable. It also does double duty and makes it more moist.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

If I use a box mix for a wedding cake what do I have to do to it to make it hold up if I flat stack it?

The cakes (in the tiers) of a stacked style cake do not support either the cake tiers above or below them - that is the job of the cake support system.

Everything you ever wanted to know to bake, assemble and decorate your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-quote-605188.html

Above includes popular CC recipes for b/c and fondant, as well as doctored cake mix recipes and so much more! (Including illustrations and complete directions for the most common cake support systems.)

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 15

Jan is correct. You can make a tiered cake out of Cool Whip if you want, and put a real cake on the top and it will hold up .... because it's the support system that supports the cakes ... not the bottom cakes.

I've used mixes for 30 years. I only recently started adding an extra egg and a packet of Dream Whip, but before that, it was "straight from the box".

terrier Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you so much!

indydebi... so you just add extra egg and a packet of Dream Whip to your cake mix and then follow what is on the box?
Cheers,
Ally

terrier Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 15

JanH

I can not get into that site. icon_sad.gif
Is there another?

Thanks
Ally

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Thank you so much!

indydebi... so you just add extra egg and a packet of Dream Whip to your cake mix and then follow what is on the box?
Cheers,
Ally

Yep! And sift the cake mix. Makes a BIG difference in the texture.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Jan is correct. You can make a tiered cake out of Cool Whip if you want, and put a real cake on the top and it will hold up .... because it's the support system that supports the cakes ... not the bottom cakes.

I've used mixes for 30 years. I only recently started adding an extra egg and a packet of Dream Whip, but before that, it was "straight from the box".

Girl between your Buttercream recipe and now your cakes, you need to buy shares in the Dream Whip Company! icon_lol.gif Heck, I'm gonna buy shares in it too, it may be the only thing on the upswing right now. icon_lol.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 15

I use the dream whip recipe also. (It's on the back of the dream whip box) I also doctor it up more depending on the cake flavor. Anyway...it makes a nice fluffy, and moist cake....yet dense enough for all of the icing and/or fondant.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 15

Here's another great recipe for wedding cakes using box mixes......

Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking! Smile

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
You can use milk, juice, coffee creamer or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

terrier Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks guys! I feel that I really can do this now! icon_biggrin.gif
Cheers,
Ally

terrier Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 15

All done and the cake was a success!

Thank you indydebi for your recipe, it worked out great.

I have added a picture of the cake!

Cheers,

Ally
LL

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 15

Wow...the cake is beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 15

Very Beautiful