My Boss Asked Me To Do Her A Favor........

Business By skaggs1 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 6:47am by margaretb

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:49am
post #1 of 23

I have to vent on this one!! Yesterday at my day job my boss comes in and ask's me if I can do her a "favor", well sure I said. Then she proceeds to ask me if a can do a search for an image of a band that her daughter likes and if I can enlarge it and print it out. Ok so no big deal right? Wrong she then tells me that she's going to take that image to Wal-Mart and have them do her daughters birthday cake! icon_eek.gif What!! My boss knows that I do cake's and sell them, she's even bought 2 cakes from me before. I just can't believe it I am so mad and hurt. icon_mad.gif I was in shock and I did'nt say anything to her but now it's eating at me and I can't quit thinking about it errrr! Thanks for listening to me vent, wish I could say that I feel better about the situation but I don't.

22 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 23

Try not to take it personally. Maybe she didn't know you could do edible images, maybe its a cost factor or maybe her daughter specifically ask for a walmart cake icon_surprised.gif I know, there are some crazy people out there! icon_lol.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 23

Maybe she assumed you can't do edible images and that's what her daughter wants... Maybe she was trying to feel you out and see if you would bring up making the cakse instead of asking you? I don't know... Weird that she would specifically ask for your help on this if she knows you make cakes.

Sorry you're feeling badly about this.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 23

Honestly, it's probably better since I doubt the Walmart would do the exact picture she brought in anyway since it's copyrighted. Be careful on your end also doing any licensed images and selling them.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 23

My first thought is that she wanted you to offer to make the cake, but you said that she has bought 2 cakes from you before. Did she directly ask you to make them or did she hint around like it seems she is doing now and then you offered to make them?

I know how you feel. I made a baby shower cake for my neighbor/friend that she LOVED and now the baby is a year old and she ordered pull apart cupcakes from Publix! She knows that I dream about making cakes and certainly knows that I would have made one for her. I was a little heartbroken!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 23

There is a local bakery that makes horrible cakes - they are dry and flavorless. I will eat Wal-Mart or Sam's cakes over this place. But, I have a friend whose husband will only eat white cake from this bakery. They had a party for her son and didn't get the cake from this bakery, so the man's mom got him 2 cupcakes from there. It's freaky. Like others said, maybe she wanted this certain cake. Some people love them because that's all they've ever had.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe she was trying to feel you out and see if you would bring up making the cakse instead of asking you? I don't know...

Possibility. I had a very close friend hint around a month or so ago about her daughter's birthday and what she wanted in a cake, etc., and I'm sitting there thinking, Ok.... ask and ye shall receive. Didn't ask. I didn't say anything but it kind of ate at me later on that day and so I called and said, you know, I'll be glad to do her cake for you. I'd love to give it a shot. (Keep in mind I'm very amateur and I know it.) She was very happy and I realized that that is what she wanted all along but she didn't want to IMPOSE on me. Impose? I love this little girl, my friend, and caking. Impose?

I don't know if that's what's going on here or not, but that does happen.

Lisa

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 23

I had someone buy a cake from me for their main cake and bought another one from Walmart as the personal cake. She told me that her child will only eat cakes from Walmart?? So, maybe her daughter only eats Walmart cake. I agree some people are strange. I doubt Walmart does the image either. If they don't sell the image then they are not allowed to because of copyright. She will probably come back to you to do the copyright image and I would refuse.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 23

My question is, why did she have you go searching for these pictures for her daughters cake? Are you her personal assistant? Why did she not look them up herself?

Personally I think she may have been trying to get you to offer to make the cake. But really I wouldn't feel bad about it, I looked at your cakes and you do great work so if she wasn't fishing for a cake she may just be tight on budget or a whole list of other things could be the factor, just try not to take it personally.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 23

I'm sure the daughter wanted an edible image and she didn't think you could do that.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 23

I am with the others - I bet she didn't think you did edible images so she went elsewhere. I also think she had some alternative motive in asking YOU to print the image. She wanted you to offer the cake - couldn't she have asked someone else to find the image? Sounds like there is something behind this!

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 23

not that I'm super good at cakes yet by any means, BUT, my best friend of 28 years who has a son my daughters age (almost 3) has never once asked me to do a cake for him. So far, baby shower, baby's first and second were all done by a "professional" bakery. That's the word she used. Said she knows that I would understand about wanting everything "perfect" for a child's birthday. OUCH...and OUCH again. Funny thing is that I have done cakes for friends of HERS, co-workers of HERS (she teaches at the same school as my DH)..........But still never allows me to do a cake for her.
It drives me crazy but I have to get over it. People are funny about certain things...................I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. I do, however think it was odd of her to ask you to find the photo image...she could have done that herself.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 23

No my boss knows that I can do the ediable images, I did one for her mothers birthday, cost isn't the factor either, she's very well to do, as far as her daughter wanting this cake from wal-mart well she said she did'nt care (she's 14)

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #14 of 23

Maybe your boss doesn't want to put you in a bad position with copyright issues. There has to be a logical reason. Hopefully it's not because your boss plans to load you up with work and knows you won't have time.....

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #15 of 23

maybe she thought your cakes were too much money or something and knew that walmart would be cheaper. i would be hurt too though!!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #16 of 23

I understand how you feel. This happened to me last week. I have made several cakes at work for different occasions, some free by choice and some not free. A baby shower for an employee was given by 2 women who work there. They had raved about my cakes in the past, but didn't even mention one for the shower even though I was invited. They got the cake from Costco! Sure it hurt my feelings and I can't figure it out (probably cost) but, oh well. I try not to sweat the small stuff and just go on. I used to take it personal but there are just some quirky folks out there! icon_smile.gif You go girl and keep cakin!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:08am
post #17 of 23

This is one decision she'll regret icon_lol.gif Get ready, she'll be sending all future orders your way again! Whatever Walmart does for her can't even compare to the quality of your workmanship! Don't sell yourself short! I think she might be playing a mind game with you to get you lower your price. I've found that the people who can afford to pay don't want to.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:31am
post #18 of 23

Your cakes are beautiful...... she is the one missing out!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #19 of 23

Just thought I would throw my 2 bits worth in here,..... How busy is your boss, if she asked you to look for the images she may not have had the time herself.....and if she has 1000 other things on her mind and her daughter is harrassing her ....."for a cake"...... "with the print on it" ......."like what so and so had"............and .........."her mum got it from Walmart" etc etc .........your boss might just have put the fact that you make cakes to the back of her mind and thought ......"I can get the cake from Walmart like the kid wants and then I can get on with doing all the other 999 things I have to do today!"

It may just be an oversight on your ????very busy boss.

If she isn't really busy then (throw my hands in the air) I have no clue! icon_lol.gif
Don't take it personally though....Life is too short! :

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:55am
post #20 of 23

Maybe she asked you to find the image to keep it a secret from the daughter? Maybe she is getting Wal~Mart to do it because it is a possible copyright issue and didn't want to ask you to do something illegal? Maybe?

"I'm just curious....Is there any particular reason you decided to get your cake from Wal~Mart? I do do cakes, ya know...and I am able to do edible images as well...."

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #21 of 23

I agree she must be fishing for a freebie! What 14 year old harasses her mom to get a walmart cake of my fav band and want the pic and everything to be perfect and not give her mom the "extact" pic? Let her go to walmart - that will be the best advertising you ever could get! Your pics are amazing - they must taste great (new taste-of-vision monitor) - she has order from you before and let her taste what she is missing. Even though I work at the chain bakery place (its a job) the best advertising is people who actually taste the comps cakes! Ours are baked fresh to order and not stored forever in a freezer to thaw/freeze mutiple times. She will come crawling back!!!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:19am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

No my boss knows that I can do the ediable images, I did one for her mothers birthday, cost isn't the factor either, she's very well to do, as far as her daughter wanting this cake from wal-mart well she said she did'nt care (she's 14)

Ooops missed this post. Please disregard what I wrote before. I was assuming the kid was only little.

Maybe you should just ask your boss why she didn't order one from you.

Lots of speculating going on in this thread. Sometimes it is better to be upfront and ask the questions rather than try to second guess why someone did or not do something.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:47am
post #23 of 23

I was sort of griping to my sister in law that certain members of my family always ask me to bring a cake to functions (esp when no one else is asked to bring things, or it's like: A. -- jar of pickles; B - 2 dozen buns; Margaret -- decorated 12x18 cake). And then I kind of back pedalled and told her that I would be happy to make a cake for my nephew if she ever wanted (I really would, and I just thought me and my big mouth, she would never feel comfortable asking me now). But she said no thanks, making the cake is something the mom should do, which I totally understand. Well, nephew's birthday rolls around, and they had a grocery store cake! AHHHH. Oh well, as it turns out, that would have been a really bad time for me to have had to make his cake. It was my own private chuckle, and no feelings hurt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%