Covering Dummy Cake With Fondant

Decorating By tucan Updated 14 May 2014 , 5:13pm by SweetDelights1

tucan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tucan Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 34

I will be making my first dummy cake next week.

Is it covered like the "real" one, with buttercream first and then the fondant?

Any tips or ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

33 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #2 of 34

No need to mess with buttercream.

There are several methods to use for covering:

Sand or roll down the upper edges a bit so that they don't cut thru the fondant, spray/wipe lightly with water or liberally coat with crisco, and put on the fondant. Smooth the top and then ease in the sides. Cut the fondant off level with the bottom of the dummy using the edge of an offset spatula.

HTH
Rae

tucan Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 34

Thank you, Rae, for your detailed instructions... they are certainly going to make it so much easier for me!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 34

i too sand down the top edges and either spritz with a water bottle or use piping gel to get it to stick. You will do fine! be sure and post a pic when you are done icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 34

Ok, let me tell you what happened to me today on this topic! icon_lol.gif

My first full fondant'd-styrofoam cake (for an upcoming bridal show). I pulled all the advice I've stored up about fondant and rather than screw around with icing styro's, I went with the "mist the styro" plan.

Ok, what you guys didn't tell me was that "misting" the styro means to "MIST" the styro ... and the big commerical sprayer on my sink is NOT the same as "misting" the styro!! icon_redface.gif

oh. my. gosh. I tried putting this fondant on the styro and it got excessively wet and turned to goo! It was sticking to everything except my styro!

Oh....did I tell you it was black fondant? You should have seen my hands! icon_lol.gif

It if wasn't so funny it would have been horrible! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I felt like the person in the sit-com who put too much soap in the washer and too much rice on the stove! It was hysterical! icon_lol.gif

For the other tiers, I wet the styro, then used a paper towel to get the excess water off, THEN applied the fondant and it worked MUCH better!

So tucan, when these guys tell you to "mist" it, they really do mean to just "mist" it! icon_lol.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, let me tell you what happened to me today on this topic! icon_lol.gif

My first full fondant'd-styrofoam cake (for an upcoming bridal show). I pulled all the advice I've stored up about fondant and rather than screw around with icing styro's, I went with the "mist the styro" plan.

Ok, what you guys didn't tell me was that "misting" the styro means to "MIST" the styro ... and the big commerical sprayer on my sink is NOT the same as "misting" the styro!! icon_redface.gif

oh. my. gosh. I tried putting this fondant on the styro and it got excessively wet and turned to goo! It was sticking to everything except my styro!

Oh....did I tell you it was black fondant? You should have seen my hands! icon_lol.gif

It if wasn't so funny it would have been horrible! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I felt like the person in the sit-com who put too much soap in the washer and too much rice on the stove! It was hysterical! icon_lol.gif

For the other tiers, I wet the styro, then used a paper towel to get the excess water off, THEN applied the fondant and it worked MUCH better!

So tucan, when these guys tell you to "mist" it, they really do mean to just "mist" it! icon_lol.gif

OMG!!! Almost spit my tea all over my keyboard...LOL!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

sugarchicone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarchicone Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 34

Gee Indydebi sounds like you had a "I Love Lucy episode"!!! icon_lol.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 34

And the funny thing is the water is THERE for a while. After I wash off my dummy off I will go back the next day and find water under them again.
I really like to use a thinned royal icing on mine. I think it works a whole lot better because water literally beads off and gathers on the bottom. If you use royal icing, it makes the fondant stick a whole lot better. When you go to reuse them, you will have to let them soak in hot water to get them clean, but I think its worth it. I dont reuse dummys too often so for the little extra it takes to clean them, its fine for me. Especially if its something I want to keep for a while.
Its funny because my dummy order came in today and my dining table looks like a styrofoam castle or something!! icon_smile.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 34

I still haven't been able to cover a styro dummy yet, I sanded down the edges to get them smooth and my fondant still rips around the edge before I can even get the sides on . I've tried using different types of fondant (homemade and purchased) with the same result. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong...help!!

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #10 of 34

Country Kitchen has rounded edged dummies made for fondant covering: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=598&SubCatId=75&productId=630389

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatz

I still haven't been able to cover a styro dummy yet, I sanded down the edges to get them smooth and my fondant still rips around the edge before I can even get the sides on . I've tried using different types of fondant (homemade and purchased) with the same result. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong...help!!

1.The sanded/rolled/smoothed upper edge should be gently rounded, not crisp at all.

2. You may be rolling the fondant too thin.

3. Try covering the dummy with an undercoat of white, smooth that really well, and then putting on a second, thinner coating of the final color.

4. I still mist some dummies, but my preferred method these days is to just rub it down with an allover coat of crisco and then apply the fondant.

HTH
Rae

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #12 of 34

Oh......! Crisco.......! Rae, where were you this afternoon!!! icon_eek.gif

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #13 of 34

I'm about to work on a dummy cake this week. I'm considering buying Satin Ice. Do any of you think it's worth the money? There is nothing I loathe more than making MMF.

Also - what is a good, cheap fondant to use for dummies? Maybe I should go with something cheaper since it won't be eaten..?

TiA

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:16am
post #14 of 34

I generally use Wilton to cover dummies. Can't beat the workability and with 40% off coupons from Michaels & JoAnn, it comes out to about $2/lb.

I only use SI on dummies if I need intense colors and I have the pre-colored SI on hand. I also use up all of my old leftover SI that way.

Rae

tucan Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 34

Ditto, rockysmom!

What a wealth of information this has been. Thanks again to everyone.

SugaredUp Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 34

I've never used Wilton. It doesn't dry out too bad? Maybe I will use it then - I always get coupons from Michaels.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 34

I too use Wilton fondant for all of my dummies. All of the chemicals really make it easier to work with when you're experimenting. icon_wink.gif

I always spray my dummies with a little bit of water and have never had a problem with the fondant not sticking.

When I'm ready to take the fondant off, it comes off really easily. I just use my small offset spatula to gently pry the fondant away from the dummy and once it gets started it just peels right off!

I've never used piping gel or shortening - mainly because I don't want to have to clean anything off of the dummy later!

SugaredUp Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 34

txcupcake, thanks for the reassurement. I am going to use wilton then. I can't wait to start my cake dummy!

weirkd Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 34

Yes, Wilton is great for covering dummies with! Cant eat the stuff so you have to use it for something!!! (great for cakeboards also).
Bigcatz, when your applying your fondant to the dummy, you can take a small amount of crisco and put it on the edges before you smooth and it will help also with the tearing.
I like using Satin Ice for my cakes, especially if I dont have time to make my own. If you want to try a good recipe that works really well I suggest using Michelle Fosters fondant recipe on here. Also, a great tasting one is Jennifer Dontz's. Its not posted on here but you can get it off her video. She uses white chocolate in with her fondant and it gives it a great taste along with pliability. (sorry for the spelling. havent finished my first cup of coffee yet!!)

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 34

Where was this topic before I started covering all of my dummies and using my good Satin Ice?! icon_cry.gif

I had some problems with bubbles, ripping, tearing etc on one dummy and had decided that I no longer knew how to roll out fondant. I ended up coloring more fondant and using it and it worked better. I covered 1 tier with piping gel and the other 2, I just misted, yes Indydebi, "misted" my cakes with water and they all stuck just fine. icon_wink.gif I like the idea of Crisco and wished I had used it instead.

I know that some people like to elevate their cakes when applying fondant to help get wrinkles out but it seemed that the fondant tore easier and the wrinkles were worse. I went back to just putting in on the counter.

No offense Debi! You had me cracking up with that mental image. icon_lol.gif I washed some styrofoam squares that I was using for a wedding cake and I couldn't believe how much water was in them! I kept drying and drying. I laid them out and seeped water. Guess I should have washed them a few days ahead of time. icon_redface.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yes, Wilton is great for covering dummies with! Cant eat the stuff so you have to use it for something!!! (great for cakeboards also).
Bigcatz, when your applying your fondant to the dummy, you can take a small amount of crisco and put it on the edges before you smooth and it will help also with the tearing.
I like using for my cakes, especially if I dont have time to make my own. If you want to try a good recipe that works really well I suggest using Michelle Fosters fondant recipe on here. Also, a great tasting one is Jennifer Dontz's. Its not posted on here but you can get it off her video. She uses white chocolate in with her fondant and it gives it a great taste along with pliability. (sorry for the spelling. havent finished my first cup of coffee yet!!)

Thanks for the help! I will try the crisco on the edges and see if that helps, if not I will just keep trying until I get it! Definitely going to invest in the contoured dummies.

weirkd Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #22 of 34

I dont buy the contoured ones and I seldom have ripping problems. I also make sure that I get rid of the sharp edge. I use an emery board on the edge and it helps. Also the crisco trick!
I think the best thing to do is to make sure you have your fondant rolled out to a good size, then flare it out on the bottom so that your fondant doesnt get any creases. Then once it looks like a poodle skirt you can use the side of your hand to chop it down to the bottom of the dummy. Then go ahead and start using your smoother on the top and sides. Cut some of the excess while its on the table. It also helps to use a piece of the non-skid stuff that you use for carpets. It helps to keep the dummy from moving around. I will then put my dummy on my turntable so I can see the bottom better and be able to smooth anything I couldnt see before.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #23 of 34

You can get the "sharp" edgs of the dummies by gently rolling that edge on a hard surface, OR you can use an iron and a piece of wax paper - just be careful! (put the wax paper on the styrofoam and carefully "iron") - it will make it nice and smooth.

SugaredUp Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #24 of 34

Awesome! Thanks, Loucinda!

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #25 of 34

How far in advance can you cover a dummy/styro cake?

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #26 of 34

As far in advance as you want. Some people have fondant covered dummies on display for years!

If you're going to use an impression mat or something, you'll want to use it right after you apply the fondant, while it's still soft.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #27 of 34

Resurrecting this topic just a bit, hope you don't mind. I'm about to cover some dummies in fondant, will see how it turns out. My question is: how do you attach dummies together once they are covered?
Thanks, P

ashleyscouturecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyscouturecakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:06pm
post #28 of 34

Dallas Foam has awesome prices and they are so sweet. dallas-foam.com I have ordered from them a few times and just love them. They are like .85 a piece and shipping is minimal. As far as the misting goes, though, does it mold? I know we live in humid central in South Texas and I iced the dummy before, like a dummy, and it wound up molding, even after I cleaned it. Had to throw it away.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:15am
post #29 of 34

Hello,
I will be working on my first dummy cake today, its a 3 tiers superheros birthday cake and the down tier is 12 inch round cake
I found the advices here very helpful, as i dont have piping gel im going to use crisco all over the styrofoam..

Wish me luck !

Jerses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jerses Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:17am
post #30 of 34

Any tip on making the dummie cake last longer or dust free? Im going to display 3 cakes outside for an expo, im expecting dirt and dust in the air also finger prints and i really like to display does cakes in my store...how to make the dust free? i have allready made the cakes but im trying to find a way to preserve them. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%