Pillars

Decorating By alicialee Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:06am by kandu001

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 10

I have never used pillars on a cake before. The wedding cake that I am currently working on will have pillars. I know how to use push in pillars, and pillars with 2 separator cakes, but the bride wants the exact pillars that are on the cake attached! How to I achieve this look without using separator plates?
LL

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 10

Well it can be done but there are several things to consider!

1. The cake must be dense enough to hold that kind of weight without crushing the bottom tier or at least squishing down into it......I'm not sure any cake recipe is that sturdy but who knows!

2. The weight of the upper tier will surely push the pillars into the fondant leaving marks etc..so a plate may be inevitable.

Personally I would do it with seperater plates for better support and less stress to you!

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 10

yeah I'm thinking that whoever made this cake has a dummy cake underneath those pillars. I'm going to buy a set of clear pillars and a cake plate and the bride will just have to deal with it! haha! should I change a rental fee for these pillars? and how do I make sure I get them back after the wedding?? a deposit?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 10

Yes...charge a rental fee and a return fee so that they are returned.Also make it large enough so they will want to get their money back otherwise they will just chuck them!!Have someone return a few days after the wedding like a family member or trusted friend since the bride and groom may be away.Once they are returned and not broken or damaged..the deposit is given back!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 10

That's surely a dummy cake. The only way to do it exactly like that would be to put your supports in, then a plate, then bc and fondant. But the caterer would want to kill you.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 10

Witon makes pillars that are 9 inches and slightly tapered at the bottom. You slide on the round circle part that sits ontop of the bottom cake then push the pillar into the cake. It goes all the way to the bottom of the cake and the circle thing sits on the cake creating the illusion that the piller itself is ontop not inside. Hope that makes sense. Just look for the pillars at you local decorating supply store.

Val

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

As others have said, that design *has to have* a plate under the fondant. There is no way those pillars can stand w/o a hidden plate unless it is a dummy cake they are on.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

Witon makes pillars that are 9 inches and slightly tapered at the bottom. You slide on the round circle part that sits ontop of the bottom cake then push the pillar into the cake. It goes all the way to the bottom of the cake and the circle thing sits on the cake creating the illusion that the piller itself is ontop not inside. Hope that makes sense. Just look for the pillars at you local decorating supply store.

Val

This was my thought when I saw the cake. Here's the pillars that vrmcc1 is talking about: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119A1-475A-BAC0-52A78709CEE04DB1&fid=63EB9DF5-475A-BAC0-535D719540895CB3

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 10

Well, duh. I use something similar with SPS!!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #10 of 10

I just found this post and I was having the same problem. Those pillars are so cool! I just ordered them and can't wait to give them a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%