Frosting Sheets

Decorating By ebear Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 4:36am by 2txmedics

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know if you can trace something onto a frosting sheet? I've never used them and don't know much about them. I've used rice paper to trace a drawing with edible markers but thought a frosting sheet may be better to blend into a cake.

TIA icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 11

Icing sheets can wrinkle or peel off a cake very easily. Also, since they're so thin, you need to trim them very quickly before they dry up. Once they do that, it's very easy to crack/crumble the icing sheet.

Technically speaking, I'm sure it can be done, though I've never tried tracing anything onto them. I've only used them for pictures or photocopies. I'm sure there would be no difference in the outcome if you traced onto it with edible markers, or if you used a printer to print a picture. But just be careful you don't let the sheet dry out!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 11

Tracing isn't very well done w/them...You can draw on them. As Rose_N_Crantz said.....to cut them you have to have a very sharp knife or scissors and work quickly. If they are dried out at all they will crack icon_sad.gif

ebear Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for your input. I can't draw and was thinking of doing a fondant plaque but thought this may be easier for me. Its a licenced character so I can't even get an edible image made..

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 11
ebear Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you! I actually went to the bakery in my local grocery store and asked if they carried frosting sheets. He looked at me like I had 3 heads...LOL. I guess maybe I should try a regular bakery and see if they carry them?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 11

Sams has them you have one near by.

ebear Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 11

Hi..I live in the Toronto area..I don't have a membership to Sams. Maybe Costco?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 11

I don't think Costco sells anything out of their bakery dept icon_sad.gif

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 11

My Sams said they couldn't sell me just the frosting sheet because they had no sku for it. I've gotten mine from bakery equipment suppliers.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #11 of 11

so am I reading that you CAN NOT, trace onto a icing sheet? I just got mine today, and have a cake to make in 10days...no one here sells the edible cartidges local, I already have 2 printers I can use for cakes...canon, and epson...both for cakes and still in the box.

I was thinking of tracing a boxer onto the sheet, to place on the cake. I also have an air brush kit complete never used given to me for my bday been to chicken. HELP...SUGGESTIONS???

I need a boxers face, and crossed swrods under the face...the guys 2 favorite things in life.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%