Requirements To Be Considered "licensed" Baker?

Business By bakerfairy Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm by Juds2323

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 2

I am trying to figure out what I would need to be a licensed baker if I am planning on renting a commercial kitchen space. Do I just need to have a contract, or is it primarily the business registration number? What factor makes it legal? Is it just that you have a copy of your rental agreement, or do you need to have insurance or what? I guess my main question is what is it exactly that makes someone a legal business when they are renting a commercial kitchen?

1 reply
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 2

There is a wealth of info in this forum. But to get you started here is some things:
You will need to contact your health department or dept of Agriculture. Depending on what state you live in. They can answer many of your questions. You will need to have your kitchen inspected and licensed, if renting it is a separate inspection/certification than the business you are renting from. You will need your own liability insurance. Food Safety certification. Determine your type of company (Corp, LLC, Sole Proprietor - these have different levels of protection for your personal assets). Talk to your city for taxes. Register your DBA, get your tax ID etc.



Quote by @%username% on %date%