Make Bc Icing For Roses

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

okay, I am self tought and trying to teach myself how to do a lot of different things know. I can make roses but it seems my icing isn't stiff enough. I need an icing that is milk free and all shortening with only butter flv. I tried just adding extra powder sugar to my current recipe but it seemed that no mater how much I added the petals would just blend in with one another (not stay seperated). I tried the stick method and using the flower nail. Any help or direction much appreciated.

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 5

Look up the wilton class buttercream seems like this is what you need.

I think its

1 cup shortening
1 pound confectioners sugar
flavorings and water.

Sorry i don't know the proportions of the flavoring and water off hand.

butterfly831915 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 5

I have used this once or twice, maybe it is just me. I think they look pretty at first but then they "wilt", I guess. I also have a hard time using the plastic lift scissors to move from the flower nail or stick to the cake. It seems the roses don't want to hold their shape that well. Just me I bet. I just ordered a few videos so maybe this will help. Before I ever even attempted doing a rose with bc, I made them with fondant. Just seems so much easier to me.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 5

I am not an experienced cake deocrator by any means, but I have always used the Classroom BC by Wilton when making roses.

I also take a little square of wax paper and then put a dab of frosting on top of the flower nail and then put the little square of waxed paper on top of that and make my rose directly on the waxed paper. Then I slide the little sheet of waxed paper with the completed rose on to a plate and put all of my roses in the refrig. When I am ready to put the roses on the cake I take plate out of refrig and put the roses right on the cake.

I have never had a problem with my roses "wilting" when I have used the Wilton Classroom BC. I have used the little white Wilton scissors and have had success with that. I have also used a thin little paring knife to move my rose. I pick up my rose on the little square of waxed paper and put it next to the spot on the cake where I want it and slid the little knife under the rose and quickly move it to the spot on the cake where I want it.

Your BC has to be fairly stiff so that the roses keep their shape. You can find the recipe on the Wilton site.

butterfly831915 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%