How Can I Get Super Hi-Gloss Shine?

Decorating By pkinkema Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm by nancyg

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 15

How can I get a gorgeous shine?

I saw a police car by debbiedoescakes that had an incredible shine. (All her cakes are marvelous--over the top.) Here is the link to her cake: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiedoescakesnet/3204157216/

Can luster dust get that shiny? Can I paint smoothed bc? I'm not an airbrusher.

Any ideas? I have a groom's cake coming up and after seeing Debbie's cake, I'm downright scared!!!! icon_eek.gif

14 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 15
chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 15

Flourpots' suggestion is an excellent one. I just finished a cake whose cakeboard is supposed to look like a wooden floor. I "polyurethaned" the floor by painting on this edible varnish recipe with a large paintbrush. It dried hard and VERY SHINY . An excellent and easy technique. Good luck!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Maybe this can help you: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-edible-varnish.html

Thank You so much for the Link FlourPots, It help me a million with a projet that I have, thank You, thank you, thankyou, and thank you pkinkema for asking this.

And Thank You too chanelisalvy thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 15

Can it be used on b/c icing? or only fondant??? sounds very simple!!!!
thanks for sharing.

pkinkema Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the great link! I'm sure that's what she must have used!

Think you could paint it on bc? I'm one of those no on the fondant bandwagon--looks fabulous but hate the texture!

FlourPots Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 15

You're welcome everyone icon_smile.gif .

I have no idea if this can be used on BC, sorry. Maybe you can PM the person who posted the recipe to inquire.

pkinkema Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks, Flour thumbs_up.gif

pkinkema Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 15

Well pooey on that reply--most of it got deleted! Here's what it was supposed to say:

Thanks, FlourPot. I did pm Pinkbox but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you guys know when I hear. Fear that applying the hot varnish may melt the bc. We'll see!

If that's a cake in your avatar, it's way tooooo fabulous!

thumbs_up.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 15

Hi, 3 ways to make fondant shine. 1. the paint on lacquer 2. you can buy a spray on lac. from chefrubber.com. or #3. you can use a clothes steamer on them and make a nice shine. In my Nicholas Lodge classe we hold our floers over steaming water ( by the stems of course) and it gives a nice shine. but, since you could not hold the car over water you could use a clothes steamer. I have used both with great result

nancyg

FlourPots Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Well pooey on that reply--most of it got deleted! Here's what it was supposed to say:

Thanks, FlourPot. I did pm Pinkbox but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you guys know when I hear. Fear that applying the hot varnish may melt the bc. We'll see!

If that's a cake in your avatar, it's way tooooo fabulous!

thumbs_up.gif

You can click the edit button at the right, after you've submitted already, if you notice something amiss in your post and need to fix it. It's only for a limited time though.
Thanks so much, that helmet is a cake, I made it for my nephew's birthday.

pkinkema Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 15

nancyg--have you ever tried either method on buttercream?

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #13 of 15

I've never tried it on buttercream, but I do want to tell you that I followed the recipe for edible varnish that I found on this site. I made it about 3 weeks ago and it is still in a viscous liquid state. I am brushing it on at room temp getting great results. So You don't need to warm it up first. When exposed to the air , it will harden and stiffen, Try it on a slab of BC and see what it does. It takes about 1/2 minute to put together the recipe for the varnish! I tripled it with no problem and have found a few uses for it already! Good luck.

pkinkema Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 15

Great! If we don't have to heat it up, then it just may work on bc!

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a try!

thumbs_up.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 15

The steam method wont work on buttercream. It melts it. It just works on fandant or gumpaste. It heats it and actually it would be sticky but it dries immediately to a shine. Also, painting fondant etc BC with an aribrush gives a great shine.

nancyg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%