How To Preserve A Gumpaste Figure?

Decorating By VannaD Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm by playingwithsugar

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. This weekend I made a Tigger figure for a baby shower cake. The mom to be loved it and was wondering if there was anyway to preserve it. I told her since it was gumpaste she could keep it a long time, but she was wondering if there was anything she could spray on it to keep it forever. I wasnt sure so i told her i would find out, so does anyone ever spray anything on their gumpaste figures to preserve them? If so, what do you use? Thanks everyone for looking.

8 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

You were right it will keep forever as it is, just dont let it get moist.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

My DD has the topper flowers I made for her wedding some 10 yrs ago. She just covered ti w/a glass top (upside down vase) and put it on top of the kitchen cupboards......there is just enough room for it above the cupboards - not inside them. It's out of the sun and kept dry. That's the most important things - dry & out of sun.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 9

thank yall! I told her not to let it get wet, but i will also tell her to keep it out of the sun. Once again, thank you for the help!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 9

If she covers it with glass, she could put a small piece of limestone or a packet of silica in it and that will keep the moisture out. Silica comes in those packets that are always in new shoes. As long as she keeps it dry and out of the sun, it should last a really long time.

Quick story: For my nephews 1st birthday, I made a cake that had a circus train on it and made sugar cookies with royal icing decorations that always went on the cake. My mom still has one of those cookies and my nephew is 18!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 9

Gumpaste alone will store indefinitely. If it was a gumpaste/fondant mix then, it will still store; however, you need to follow the directions regarding moisture. Silica packs are the best method of keeping moisture out of a figure. Sun is the enemy and will cause rapid fading.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 9

I have the box I made in the Wilton class from a year and a half ago that was made from 50/50....after it dried for a few days I sprayed it with clear acrylic (spelling) spray. Its been great ever since.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1315640 my boss has had this cake since last thursday,,,he won't allow anyone to cut it. Can I make a dummy in royal icing and fondant for him to keep? TIA...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

There are more problems than just humidity, when it comes to any food coloring. There is also the problem of fading.

Tigger has orange, which has a red base. Red fades first, whether it be food color, hair color, clothing dye. I can't tell you why, but for some reason, light bleaches it out quickly.

If they want to preserve the item, and put it on display, then they would be better off getting a UV-safe plexiglass box made for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%