Has The Recession Affected Your Sales ?

Business By pinktea Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm by marmalade1687

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Well, I am slow, scary slow. I have a licensed home bakery.

Another bakery here just closed down along with a number of other businesses. Lots of lay offs either happening or rumored. My DH is going to have to go to nights after almost 25 years on his job his position is being eliminated. Even the local university (major employer) is having issues, talking lay offs, consolidating offices etc.

I am glad you all are doing well, wish I could say the same! Hopefully, things will look up soon. I'm trying to figure if I should market more or try to find some kind of work. icon_rolleyes.gif

I do think the lack of visibility can be an issue, at least around here.

Take heart, I'm in the same boat as you - low visibility (home baker) and business is pretty much non-existent this year so far. The only things I have on the books is a birthday cake in April, a wedding in August & a tasting for a wedding in September. So far this year I have done 3 cakes total. I am losing sleep here with worry over it, I really don't know what to do. So you are not alone!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #32 of 32

I was having problems getting non-wedding orders, so I looked for different ways to advertise myself and perk up the orders out of wedding season. I found a few kids' information websites that advertise birthday party information, and got my website linked onto it for free. I put ads on Kijiji and Craigslist and a few other local "classified" websites. None of these cost me a cent, but the phone has been ringing off the hook! It may be a way for you to bring in more business - good luck!

I hope everything works out for you and your husband Lenette - my husband is facing layoffs in the high-tech sector, so I know how you feel! That's why I wanted to increase my business...a "just-in-case" buffer for harder times!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%