Cookie Experts Needed

Decorating By pinkbox Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm by JGMB

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone!!

I need some guidence and advice.

I have a request for an order of 500 icon_eek.gif ...yes 500 cookies... shaped in a light bulb... with royal icing (or I may do fondant b/c its faster if they agree). (not until Dec.. whew)

Its for a convention for a ministry and they are going to set them on plates on the tables and the theme is Lighten Up.

My question to you. What would one charge for this mass produced adventure?

Looking online for the cutters I have found are all copper and the only sizes I have found are 4.75x3 or 2x1 1/4 inches. Costing $10-$15 ea.

Also... what does one recommend I do to make the process go smoother... freezing, or any tips that may assist me in sucessfully tackling this adventure... (hiring someone??) Im just a one person shop icon_smile.gif

Thank you in advance for your help

14 replies
pinkbox Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 15

Just asking again... hoping those experts are out there but just elbow deep in cookie dough...

anyone? anyone? Bueller.... Ferris Bueller??

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 15

You might have more luck getting an answer if you post this in the cookies forum. I have just gotten finished with 60 dozen Valentine cookies. I baked ahead and froze them with no icing and then as I had time I unfroze, iced, and then refroze. No one knew the difference. I used RI though. I don't know how well RBC freezes. I know this was probably not a bunch of help, but this was the first time I ever did that many cookies.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 15

For the light bulbs - Wilton x-mas cookie cutter set has light bulbs that are a decent size - 2 1/2 inches I think - I bought the set at Michaels a few years ago but I know they still have it around.
As for how to bake them, Make the dough in stages probably starting no sooner than October to keep the dough frozen for no longer than 8-12 weeks and of course wrap well to prevent odours from abosorbing into the cookie dough. I would bake 2 batches at a time (probably about 100+ cookies) and decorate,dry for 24hrs and then wrap and freeze. Do this until you are done. The trick when thawing is to leave them wrapped to avoid condensation and causing your icing to sweat. It is a big task and requires alot of preparation, work and cleaning.
I charge $2.50 each cookie for my smaller simple designs which I would think you would do with a light bulb. I give a discount for every dozen purchased - $25 per dozen so that would come to about $1050. DO not sell yourself cheap - all that work and you will resent it if you go too low, trust me I have done that before.
Good luck and congrats on the big order icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:31am
post #5 of 15

Check under my Valentine photos, I made lightbulbs, but not that many, so I just printed out a template and laminated it and cut them individually. If I am ever so lucky to get such a huge order I would make the cutter in the size I need it and start. I need about 2-3 days for 250 cookies, if I have enough space to dry them. I would prepare large amounts of dough, divide them up in smaller rolls, cover with 2 layers of clingwrap and then put them in Ziploc freezer bags to freeze. That way, you can then start concentrating on the cookies, i.e defrosting the amount you bake in a day, take out that amount of dougth 1 day ahead, cut and bake. Layer them in tins, when cooled. Make Icing while cookies are baking. Next day set up your table and start making outlines, by the time you have outlined a table full, the first outlines are dry and you can start flooding. Then dry overnight and add details next day, don't forget to defrost the next batch. For that amount of cookies I would set aside about 10 days with packaging

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 15

I would think you could manage by yourself, if you make really good friends with your freezer! Fondant would definitely go much faster than RI. Are you packaging also? That will take a lot of time. You can bake, decorate and package, and then freeze. Cello wrapped cookies take up more room in the freezer though, so be aware of that. Sounds like a great opportunity - it's great that you have so much time to plan for it.

pinkbox Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks everyone...

Luckily I will not be putting them in the cello bags. One less step. They will be served on platters on the tables.

I've never frozen fondant before, do you think I could bake. Decorate then freeze? Pull out a few days before to come to room temp then stack in boxes for delivery?

sgirvan after doing the discount for mass produced cookies... it comes out to roughly $2.10 per cookie.

Now what size cookie would you use to charge for that?? the large 4.75x3 or the small 2x1 1/4 inches cookie cutter size?

Ursula40... your light bulb cookies are tooooo cute... I may have to try that for valentines next year for the teachers at my kids school. Thx for sharing

Twopeasinapod... Ive never frozen NFSC... I will have to try your method with the freezing ... I like using the fondant... it seems quicker and I make my own so I flavor it to enhance the orange extract I like to put in my cookies that everyone raves about haha.

TubbsCookies... do you think I could do as you say... bake, decorate then stack in boxes then freeze?? with a layer of parchement between them so when they thaw they dont "stick" together??

Thanks in advance!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 15

I've never done anywhere near this volume, but I wanted to say congrats!
I think the posters have all given you great advice too. Mixing up large batches of dough and freezing will help you more than you realize. I'm sure the fondant will go faster for you also, so that will hopefully speed up your process also.
I do know that most people charge $1 per inch for cookies, so the cutter that is 2x1 would probably be the $2 price.
Congrats again!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 15

I have done an order once for 650 cookies and I do not even have a shop. icon_sad.gif I would recommend getting started way in advance and freezing. They will hold up just fine as long as you package them well. I also used a template I had traced because they were a shape that could not be found as a cookie cutter. If you want to save money on the cutter, you could always make your own but with so many that you have to do, I would just buy the cutter. Good luck and just have fun!

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 15

Kim, I noticed no one answered your question about freezing the fondant. I'd like to know that answer myself! Since you have a good amount of time before beginning this project, my advice would be to just try a few - do a few with fondant and freeze them (carefully wrapped, of course). Experiment a little with thawing time to see how far ahead you can do that and still have them taste fresh. BTW, the NFSC dough freezes very well.

Congrats on the order - I know you'll do a wonderful job.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 15

The cookies that I charge $25 per dozen are the 2-3 inch ones, I try to follow the $1 per inch rule and then adjust due to difficulty of design, etc.

I have never frozen fondant but I seem to remember hearing that it is not a good idea as it can become sticky when thawing - but I am not positive as I have never done it myself.

I do love decorating with fondant because As the cookies are baking I roll and cut out fondant and place on top of cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven, they stick becuase of the heat and once cooled I can do the fine details - it goes so much quicker than with royal icing.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 15

I have baked, decorated, and frozen fondant cookies. I had to bag them individually. I did that and then put them in big rubbermaid containers and then covered the container with saran wrap and then covered in a trash bag. The day that I needed them I took them out in the a.m. and let them thaw in their bags and delivered that afternoon.
They did great. Everyone raved about them. I charged 3 dollars a cookie for about 2 1/2 to 3 inch cookies.
Lu

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 15

I decorate with MMF and freeze all the time. As lu9129 says, they look and taste great. They also travel well after being frozen. The longest I have kept mine frozen is three weeks. HTH

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 15

There are 2 different sizes of lightbulb cutters for $1.19 each at

http://cookiecutter.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=lightbulb&btnSearch=GO

If that link somehow got deleted, search for Off the Beaten Path and you'll find it.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm
post #15 of 15

Sorry, I meant to add that the bulb cutters are more the elongated, Christmas type. I would think you could bend them to be the rounder kind. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%