Any Suggestions To Doctor Up A Marble Cake?

Decorating By dhccster Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm by MrsAB

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:27am
post #1 of 5

Hello-

I have a request for a marble cake. I bought DH marble cake mixes thinking I could doctor them up somehow. I looked in the cake doctor cookbook and there isn't a recipe that starts with the marble cake mix. Should I add sour cream, pudding? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 5

Try my *original* WASC recipeicon_smile.gif It would be the perfect taste treat. Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, juice, coffee creamers or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use yogurt (flavored or plain) instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

kakeladi--- thank you so much for this. I do use this recipe all the time for my white cakes. I didn't think of it for any cake mix (I didn't read it all the way, even though I have this recipe hanging on the inside of my cabinet.)

I did make this with the marble cake mix. I tasted the part I had to trim off..... yum-o! I am delivering the cake tomorrow and am looking forward to hearing how yummy it is! Thanks again. Now, I know to use this with all my cake mixes!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 5

hahaha......yes it is great for every flavor of mix there isicon_smile.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 5

I will have to try this as well with the marble mix. Hsterling, did you follow the recipe above exactly? Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%