People Who Have Been In A Competition.

Decorating By PurpleIcing Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 12:59am by PurpleIcing

PurpleIcing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleIcing Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:13am
post #1 of 8

I just got done watching the Food Network challenge. This episode was to make a cake for Miley Cyrus sweet 16 birthday. I understand not all of you have been in this caliber of competition but please respond if you have comments.

Couple questions about competitions:

1)Is there limits to the # of tiers on the cake? This particular episode their cakes were very tall , something like 5-7 layers.

2)Requirements for how many people it should feed?

3)Is there a length of time for research and design?

I understand that they want the biggest cake , but , I saw this competition and basically 2 of the competitors didn't finish the full cake.
This makes me ask.

4) If you were in a competition would you want completion of your cake over size , layers, etc?

Thank you for answering!

Purple

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:48am
post #2 of 8

As far as i know there is a height requirement for the food network challenges. Thats why those cakes get so big.

The rest of it i really can't help. I think different contests have different rules.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 8

Hi there:
I have seen most of the food network competitions and for the ones with cake normally the standard is the same 3 feet tall minimum feeding 150 people. Unless it's something really different you'll have time to come up with your design before the competition starts. I've never been in a competition myself but it does seem kind of stressful.

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 8

I know from a class i was talking with Marina and she was doing research for the challenge and she had been for at least a week!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

I loved her sugar beads.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

As far as i know there is a height requirement for the food network challenges. Thats why those cakes get so big.

The rest of it i really can't help. I think different contests have different rules.

Ditto. Different contests, different rules. Showpieces, assembled before competition usually aren't even real cake.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, I loved Marina's cake as well. Did you see the cake she did for Keegan Gerhardt's (the host for the Challenges) wedding? She did a cake, Nicholas Lodge did a cake, Bronwen Weber did cupcakes, there was a sugar showpiece and a chocolate showpiece as well! It was insane but gorgeous.

PurpleIcing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleIcing Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

Cool, Thanks folks.

Purple

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%