Wasc-Sinking

Decorating By lchristi27 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:03am by fherny

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 10

My WASC cakes always seem to drop in the middle. I use Duncan Hines because I think it's the best, and always have the same problem. Today I did ones with Pillsbury just to see what might happen and they were worse! I had to throw one out because the top got too dark and middle was runny.

I've used the flower-nail trick too, and it still sinks in the middle. Anyone else have an idea? The cakes still seem to taste good, but I really want them to stop drooping in the middle!

9 replies
dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #2 of 10

Everytime I try WASC it sinks ... so I have made a note to myself to stop trying them ... don't have the time or money to waste

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

Soooooo sorry to hear people are having trouble. Which recipe are you using? There are several different ones on this site.

My *original* recipe takes longer to bake than what you might be used to because it is being baked at a lower temp.
Are you *sure* your ovens are working properly - at the right temp. All ovens maintain baking temp it is set for by fluctuating.. Let's say you set it for 325 degrees F. It will rise up to 350 or even as high as 360-65 before dropping down to 300 then coming back on to rise up again. This is normal for all ovens (maybe not that much of a swing I don't know the #s exactly but they all do a 'swing'.)
It might help to keep a thermometer in your oven to see that it is close to the temp you want it. Spend some $$ on it so you are sure it will be accurate. A Taylor (brand name) is good. If no where else you usually can find one at an appliance parts store as repair men need a good reliable one icon_smile.gif The last I knew they were selling around $20. Don't waste your money on those cheap little round ones at the supermarket. If you look at more than two or three they usually show all different temp! How can they be accurate in the oven?
Oh, one tip: If you have a cake that isn't exactly perfect don't throw it outicon_sad.gif Instead make trifle or cake balls w/it. Just cut away the soft part and use the rest. If nothing else keep it in the fzr .... you never know when you might want a small piece for something. Maybe use a cutter to cut out the middle and fill w/the same size/shape of good part of a cake. I hate to see waste!

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 10

The only problem I have had with the WASC was with Pillsbury mixes. The first time I thought it was something I did wrong but when it happened the second time, I realized it was something with the mix itself. I haven't had any trouble with DH or Betty Crocker (yet).

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 10

Very strange...I've had two sinkers, both Duncan Hines mixes...Pillsbury (w/ 1 cup of pudding in the box) never had any.

I read here on CC that you can add a tsp. of baking powder to DH mixes and that should take care of the problem. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to if I ever use a DH mix again.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 10

Mine have only sunk when I haven't baked them long enough. I tend to fill my pans pretty high and a 6 inch can take up to 50 minutes to bake at 325 degrees! Usually I bake them 10 minutes longer even when I think they're done. I only use Duncan Hines.

Jodie

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 10

I must be an odd ball here. I get the best results with pilsbury. The only time I get sinkage is if I underbake or if I open the oven too early to check it.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 10

I had terrible results w/ DH, switched to BC & no problems. More than likely you're underbaking, which causes sinking in the middle. You can have a dark top & gooey middle---oven temp not correct.

Here's a link I LOVE

http://www.baking911.com/cakes/problems.htm

crap, I HATE it when a link doesn't work

It's baking 911.com & you can type cake problems into the search

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #9 of 10

I have an oven themometer; have used BC and PB mixes; nothing to do with under baking ... yesterday I watched the cake rise so pretty, and right before my eyes (no open oven door, haven't taken out of the oven) it falls in the middle. Went ahead and baked for the full time (55 minutes I think is what I ended up with) and still had middle sink hole.

fherny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fherny Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 10

I think is the oven, you should try to put the shelf in the middle and don't open it before the first 20 minutes, and even if you open it do it slowly and partially. The termometer idea is great so you can try your oven without any cake in it! but I am pretty sure is the oven, sometimes the door is kind of loose or the temperature drops dramatically, that defenitely is a HUGE problem and can kill any cake! My mom has been baking cakes for more than 30 years and she told me that if is not the baking power is the oven...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%