Home Bakery In Clarksville, Tn?

Business By armywife1 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 3:01am by Katie-Bug

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 4

We just moved to Clarksville, TN due to my DH receiving orders to Ft. Campbell. Just wondering if anyone from CC lives here and has their own cake business; if it's legal to have a home business here; and, if so, is it a hassle to become legal. I thought I had read somewhere here on CC about states that allow home bakeries, but I can't seem to find it now.

TIA

3 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! I am about an 1 1/2 hrs. north east of Nashville.

Depending on what you're wanting to do, you deal with two different departments.

If you want to sell at farmer's market, etc.- you bake an package and then take the product an try to sell it, you will want to contact the Dept. of Agriculture. They have been very misleading about this, but this program is only for those who make the product an then sell it.

If you want to receive orders and then make something, you deal with the health department. I would check with your local one, from what I understand, requirments vary from county to county.

I hope I haven't confused you.
I am currently baking and selling cakes, I have no license or permits from the heath department. I have spoke to them an was told that if I'm not advertising or making a profit of X amount, they don't really care. I just rely on word of month, no business cards or such. I'm trying to get into a commerical space right now to further my business, boy that is crazy!!!

I wish you the best of luck and I'll look for some links for you.
Katie icon_smile.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 4

Hi Katie! Thanks for the info. I'll have to find the contact number for the Health Dept. and ask about Montgomery County.

When you said 'not go over x amount', does that mean that you can only make a certain amount of money each year? I wonder how they can keep track of that?! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I'll just hope for the best! Thanks again!

Debbie icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

Hey,

Yeah, the X amount thing, I don't remember how much it was. But, everything I received, which barley covered the cost, when back into supplies. It was a profit of some dollar amount.

You are right about tracking it, they go by what is filled on taxes so...
Generally small b-day cakes an such are cash.

Good Luck! Katie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%