Any Norwegians Or Danes Out There? Kransekake ?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 7

I hope I am not the only Scandy here because I need some help. My son's teacher who is Danish has asked me, who is Norwegian, to make her a Kransekake wedding cake. I have the ring molds to make it, but last time I tried I had a really hard time because the rings stuck together and the whole thing looked like a mess. In the end my cake was eaten in bits which is fine because it is delicious no matter how it looks, but don't want to serve bits for a wedding cake. So, if any of you have made Kransekake - do you roll the dough into sausages or do you pipe? And more importantly how thick do you make them? They clearly spread so I obviously made mine too thick.

And for you non-Scandies who have never had Kransekake - you should try it, it is the most delicious cake ever! Here is a recipe link:

http://www.infonorway.com/recipes/baking/kransekake/recipe.html

6 replies
BakingGirl Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

Anybody from Minnesota out there?

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:35am
post #3 of 7

Kransekage should not spread - what recipe do you use? I know there is a slight difference between Danish and norwegian kransekage though. Maybe Norwegian is softer.
I pipe mine, but I think the rings are just meant to stick together - I use a knife to seperate them.

BakingGirl Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 7

Gefion, thanks for getting back to me. Can you please share your recipe with me? Just curious to see what the difference is.

BakingGirl Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, I forgot to include my recipe Gefion. Here it is:

250g (2 1/2 cups) finely ground blanched almonds
250g (2 1/2 cups) finely ground unblanched almonds
500g (4 1/3 cups) sifted icing sugar (sift before measuring)
3 egg whites

Do you mix the ingredients over heat until the dough is hot? I did not, but I see some recipes ask you to do that.

Also, what size tube do you use to pipe?

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:23am
post #6 of 7

I use

500 grams of pure almond paste (60% ground almonds with sugar and glucose)
100 grams granulated or powdered sugar
2 eggwhites

Mix well and keep in the fridge until next day. Form rings and bake at 450 F for 8-10 minutes.

I have always made it this way, but I got a recipe similar to yours from a Norwegian once, and it was a mess.

The kransekage I make is a very stiff (and sticky) dough. I do not cook it on the stove first, but I know some do. I pipe it with a special kransekage tip that forms the triangular shape you need. I think the opening is about 1" x ½".

BakingGirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks again Gefion. I have the ingredients to make the kransekake by my Norwegian recipe so I will try first and hopefully it won't be disaster like last time. The local supermarket luckily sells almond paste so I can try your recipe if mine does not work. Almond paste is so expensive here it is outrageous so I am hoping my recipe won't give me trouble.

I don't have the tip you have so I may have to improvise a little when it comes to the piping. I am excited to bake it now. I may have to bake two so that I can eat one too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%