80's Themed Cake

Decorating By unexperienced Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm by miss_sweetstory

unexperienced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unexperienced Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 17

looking for ideas for a 80's rock band cake for a 16 year old, i have made chocolate guitars for the top I was going to use round tiers needs to serve 60..help

16 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 17

Rubics cube, leg warmers, sun glasses, neon colors.....zebra stripes...boom boxes, cassette tapes, not CD's, walkmans, pac-man, Mrs. Pac-man....fun fun fun

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 17

black and red colors with flames. Pentagram (in referece to Motley Crue), Duff did a really cool one it is on his website. It has the fist on top of it.

Mel1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel1965 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #4 of 17

It's all about Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! Anything New Wave...Flock of Seagulls, A-Ha, Men At Work, David Bowie, you name it, the sky's the limit! Rock on, 80's!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 17

80's = Big Hair Bands. LOL If you make figurines for the rock band, they definitely need big hair.

Lisa

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 17

OMG!!! That would be so much fun!!!! Can't wait to see it!!!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #7 of 17

Don't forget the fluorescent colors, big hair with way poofy bangs, and checkered socks ONTOP of the pants,lol. I remember wearing 2 pairs of socks different colors, black underneath hot pink on one foot, hot pink underneath black on the other foot, then folded my STONE WASHED jeans over with the socks ontop of the jeans.... what was I thinking??? Oh ya... remember the MC Hammer Pants? That may have been early 90's???? Tons of plastic braceletts, that would be easy to make in fondant. Ooohhh... this should be a fun cake for you!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #8 of 17

The 80's theme cake I did I put in the cake wrecks category...but it might have some ideas for you. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291463

The other side of the cake had all the edible image movie posters from the 80's, a can of aqua net, a smurf and a rubix cube.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #9 of 17

I just did an 80's cake last week. All I did was use neon colors and # 1M tip to make large ruffle shells around the two tiers. Ruffles were big back then.

If I could have, I would have made a octagon shape bottom tier and printed edible image of popular movies such as Better off dead (BTW one of my all time favorite movies icon_smile.gif, sixteen candles, Farris Bullers day off, Pretty in pink, Footloose, breakfast club...well you get the idea.

If you want it to be more rock band you could do the same with popular rock bands back then. Madonna, Guns N roses, Skid Row, Heart, Kiss, poison, cyndi Lauper, ect...

Here is a pic. of my cake so you can get the idea of the color combo. Hope that helps.
LL

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 17

Ohh yeah black and white check or polka dots very big back then icon_wink.gif

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #11 of 17

Sounds like a fun theme to do. Yep,neon colors with black accents. WOW the ideas are endless for that era..LOL

Hope u post a pic for us!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 17

I would make the sides with black and white checks with neon (kill the retinas icon_lol.gif ) bright colors cutting through it.
Big hair if your making figures.

Watch the Wedding Singer. Totally 80's movie that I love, or even the movie Better of Dead. You'll get lots of ideas.

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:31am
post #13 of 17

The birthday girl is only 16 and she wants an 80's theme? huh? I would be finding out why she wants this theme - then go from there. Because she may not even get half the things that we remember and love about the 80's.
Maybe she watched a movie or something that inspired her...
Otherwise you could maybe do a record (an 80's style - not 60's), or what about a crimper?? (I loved crimping my dead straight hair.)
leg warmers? - or 80's trend gym gear!! haha.....

Have fun!

unexperienced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unexperienced Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for all the great ideas..The cake is for a boy and all he knows is 80's bands.. I think I'll use edible images for the sides and make the differnts band logos...thanks so much

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #15 of 17

He is my kiind of kid. Stuck in another era. I was born in '71, and I know most of the stuff from the 60's. Weird huh?

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:20am
post #16 of 17

This kid definatly has great taste!! icon_smile.gif
Hope you have fun making the cake.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #17 of 17

Don't forget the Devo Red hat (known as an energy dome)!

Here is a slideshow of some '80s album covers that might provide some inspiration:

http://www.slideroll.com/slideshows/members/laineypoche/show/80s-album-covers/

Here are some album cover stills:
http://www.vh1.com/photos/gallery/?fid=1479192&page=1&thumbnails=true

Geez, it seems like yesterday. Where are my shoulder pads? icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%