Chocopan?

Decorating By willj7r0 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 12:05am by saberger

willj7r0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willj7r0 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone ever used Chocopan? I bought some and was going to try it on a cake this week. I found it way to soft... I couldn't get it onto the cake whole. Anyone have any tips? Maybe I just worked it until it was too soft?

4 replies
mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #2 of 5

Hello,
I also tried covering cake with chocopan, and it kept tearing. I heard that if you mix it with satin ice that will make it more pliable. I also was told not to roll it out too thin, and keep moving it around as I was rolling in csugar and cornstarch. Hope this helps... sorry I am new at this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5

Acutally, it says right on the container that choco-pan is designed to be rolled thin. Choco-pan is the reason I began doing fondant cakes .... I never liked the look of thick "play doh" looking fondant, so when I found choco-pan, I liked the look I was able to get with a thin layer of fondant, plus the taste is great!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 5

I love choco-pan! It is softer and a little harder to work with but it is so worth it. I roll it out on a sheet of vinyl then flip the whole thing over onto the cake and peel the vinyl off. Much easier then trying to pick up the choco-pan and put it on the cake.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 5

Chocopan is the only reason I had even considered continuing to use fondant! However, you must work fast. If you are used to a Wilton-like product, which you have a lot of handling time and maneuvering time, then you are going to want to scream as soon as you use chocopan. That is what happened to me. I don't roll it AS thin as they say, just a touch thicker and I move FAST! The longer it hangs, the more apt to tearing. Also if I found it starting to tear a bit, I just pushed it up towards the top of the cake and that would fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%