Fondant Roses - How Far In Advance?

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm by tonedna

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 24

Hi,

I have been practicing making Fondant Roses and really suck at it. I have to make a cake with aLOT of roses on Saturday and was wondering, can i start making them from now. I have two concerns

1) Will they be cracked if I make them from now
2) I want to make pink and red, will the color stay on it if , i keep them covered and in a dark place?

23 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 24

sorry double post

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 24

sorry double post

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 24

I always make my roses in advance. It takes a while for them to dry. They will last a long time. Your colors should be fine as long as they are out of direct sunlight. Good luck.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 24

I always make my roses in advance. It takes a while for them to dry. They will last a long time. Your colors should be fine as long as they are out of direct sunlight. Good luck.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 24

I do them in gumpaste.. and the can be done weeks ahead.The longer the better. And they can be stored
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 24

I do them in gumpaste.. and the can be done weeks ahead.The longer the better. And they can be stored
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 24

Seems is a double post day!...icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fondantfrenzy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks all, I dont have the stuff to make gumpaste and have fondant. It's a rainy day and figured that would give me something to do today. I tried to search the forums to see if this question was already asked, but couldnt find anything.

Thanks for responding everyone!

tonedna Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #10 of 24

So you know...fondant will make it harder to do the flowers, since it wont roll out as thin. You can add some tylose to help it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fondantfrenzy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #11 of 24

Ahhh Toedna to the rescue. Thank you so much...you are truely the best!

tonedna Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #12 of 24

Awww...anytime!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fondantfrenzy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Awww...anytime!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna,

Check it out. These were my first attempt. Next I will be trying to make the big full like roses. But was really surprized that these turned out the way they did. Thank you so much. Also, I see what adding the tylose helped A LOT!
LL

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #14 of 24

WOW Beautiful roses!!! Good job, Im sure your cake os going to look wonderful..............please post your pic.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #15 of 24

Great job on the roses...

Thanks Edna for the advice on using tylose in the fondant.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 24

How did you make these roses? It's not the Wilton or Duff method. I really like the way the Wilton ones look, but they take me forever to do...

Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 24

Off Topic

fondantfrenzy I'm new to the site and saw a recipe you posted -- the Ferror Rocher Filling. I have a question and didn't know how to contact you and saw your posting.

If you don't mind, my question is: when you say "one large carton of heavy whipping cream", how large? 1C? 2C? larger?

Thanks for your time.

BTW, your roses look great!

fondantfrenzy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:45am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

WOW Beautiful roses!!! Good job, Im sure your cake os going to look wonderful..............please post your pic.

Here it is. I am not happy with the top i was trying to make one of those ball looking things made of roses. I ended up breaking alot of my roses. icon_mad.gif
LL

Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #19 of 24

The cake is beautiful! The roses look great. I also love that lace border around the middle cake.

tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

Here it is. I am not happy with the top i was trying to make one of those ball looking things made of roses. I ended up breaking alot of my roses. icon_mad.gif

Making those ball toppers can be quite hazardous....I just made one and It does gets scary. Look at the topper on the first photo on my blog.
I had to use 2 size of roses. Bigger one and smaller medium ones to fill the empty holes where the big one didnt fit. Plus you need fillers. Since roses ar round they will leave empty holes that you need to fill with smaller flowers and leaves..
http://designmeacake.com/blog.html
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #21 of 24

Oh I forgot to say, you did a beautiful cake!..Kudos!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fondantfrenzy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 24

Edna,

You are the greatest!!! THank you for your help and support, it helped me build confidence. I just wish my roses looked better on top. I didnt think to put leaves and smaller roses! It makes me feel better if you are saying it can be hazardous, when i was putting my roses in, they were cracking....so i know what you were talking about. What did you stick them in? I made a fondant ball, is that what you use?

fondantfrenzy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Oh I forgot to say, you did a beautiful cake!..Kudos!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Coming from you that is quite a compliment. icon_smile.gif Thank you!

tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 24

It depends on how high I want them or how many I am putting. In that photo I used a styrofoam ball covered in fondant. But usually when I am in a hurry I just build a buttercream ball. Since is soft I don't have to push as hard and the lower flowers usually hold the top flowers. And the fillers will cover the holws so you dont see the inside of the ball, just flowers.
As a fact, I know pre made roses are a lot stronger than the ones that are homemade. But the one I make looke prettier than the ones premade, so is a give and take.
I use premade when I have too many weddings..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%