Missing My Kitty And Trying To Make My Daughters Cake.....

Decorating By aundrea Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 3:23am by Monkess

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 13

hi, im trying to get motivated and get my daughters birthday cake done for tomorrow.
i had to put one of my cats down - and im having trouble concentrating.
its only been 2 days and my other cat is just as sad as i am.
ive already baked the cakes twice. i had forgotten to add a couple of things.
i still have to carve, frost and decorate. (its a purse cake).
i dont mind staying up all night, i usually do when i make a cake.
i think what bothers me the most is being here, in my house right now.
i just have so much guilt and im not at peace. it all happened so fast.
well im off to check on the second cakes.
thanks for letting me have a place to share, and i may have some questons on doing this cake. its my first purse cake.

12 replies
staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 13

I sure can sympathize with you. The day before my daughter's birthday someone stole our dog out of our yard. She was a family member. All Emma wanted for her birthday was her dog back. It broke my heart when she woke up on her birthday and asked if Jett was back. It is hard to keep your chin up when you wish you could sit down and just cry. I can't help you with a purse cake, but I sure can send my sympathy for you. It is one of those hard things you have to do with pets. Sending good thoughts your ways and hoping it gets a little easier with time.

aundrea Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 13

thank you for your kind words. i am so tempted to just throw the cakes together with frosting and be done. but i promised myself i would do this.
you didnt say whether your dog was returned - i hope so.
funny how pets really are family members. some people understand others dont.
i had mo-mo for 15 years, both of my cats are 15. for more than half my kids life they were here.
i am struggling with this purse cake. i really have no idea how to even start it. im sitting here looking at the cakes trying to figure out what do i do???
i should have baked a 9x13 cut in 1/3's, stacked then carved, as ive read on here.
but i have 3 -10inch rounds. and if i re-bake that will be three times.
ive already ran to the store twice for things i was missing. and i dont think i have enough buttermilk to re-bake.
its a red velvet cake.
i guess i really wasnt concentrating.
sometimes i wish i was like, bewitch, and could twinkle my nose and the cake would be done, looking like the outstanding cakes on here. icon_smile.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 13

I am so sorry to hear about your having to put your cat down...I remember having to put our dog down before we got Rocky...she had cancer and was in so much pain. She had been a faithful and loyal friend for many years...though it was heart breaking to lose her...it was the least we could do for her to ease her of her suffering...now we have little Rocky.

Looking forward to seeing your purse cake.

Robin

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 13

I feel your pain..I had to put my GS dog down the day before Halloween, and I felt guilty, felt like I killed her, and could not function for a good while. The bright spot that you need to focus on is seeing your daughter smile when she sees her cake. My prayers are with you, and it will be ok....I promise!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:51am
post #6 of 13

I am so sorry about your fur person. Euthanasia is never an easy decision to make.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:09am
post #7 of 13

so sorry aundrea..........i know exactly how you feel but sometimes it is best for our pet, doesn't make it any easier....i know. maybe i can help a little with your cake? just carve out the purse fro the 4 rounds and and a piece on top if you need it higher. im sure you can manage the decorating part. HTH
mary

aundrea Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:15am
post #8 of 13

thank-you everyone. no its not an easy decision. and i know time does heel. when i get his ashes back, i think that will make me feel better too.

my daughter called alittle while ago, and said dont bother with the cake, and now im more determined to get it done.

i just made my BC and white chocolate gnache filling. the cakes are in the refrig. chillin before i start carving.
i still need to make the fondant pieces, but that shouldnt take too long.
i already know i will be up when the sun comes up.
but im very nocturnal, and this is my favorite time to do cakes. dont need to worry about interuptions.
i could stay up all night and sleep all day.

ill be back with a progress report on the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:34am
post #9 of 13

I can certainly sympathize with you, I wouldn't be able to do anything if it were one of my cats. So sorry to hear about that. I know some people don't understand, but I do and I sure feel your pain. Hope you feel better, but it will take time. A bunch of hugs from another cat person.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 13

I am so sorry about your cat. I am presently owned by 4 cats and one of them being 14 years, so I truly do understand your pain. I once had the most wonderful Siamese that lived to be 18 years old and had to put him to sleep and it was very hard on me. But I knew it was the best thing for him. And your right, getting his ashes back will put some closure on it for you...it always has for me.

Please post pics of your cake...I love the purses!!!

aundrea Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 13

thanks again everyone. kinds words are really appreciated.
i did finally finish the purse cake. (ill post the picture) for my first time i learned alot.
i had the hardest time with the edible image. i ordered them (dont want to say where)- i could only get one strip to come off. all the rest came off in the tiniest pieces. it took me 2+ hours to get them on the cake. ive used edible images before and never had this problem. so im figuring it was a bad batch.
other than that the rest went ok. oh other than i had to bake my cakes 3times, because of missed ingredients. ugh!
my daughter loved it and thats all that matters. it tasted great too!
i guess the biggest compliment came when at the resturant, the cake was on the table, and the people at the next table asked my daughter where she got that purse, and she said it was her birthday cake. haha.
thanks again-to everyone for your encouragement. it was a long night and i know each day will get better.

aundrea Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #12 of 13

hello everyone,
just wanted to let you know that i just got around to posting a picture of the purse cake.
thanks again for your kind words and thoughts.
i got a call from the vet today, and i will pick up mo-mo's ashes this week-end.
finally some peace will come for me.
i have another cake to do this week-end for my grandaughters party on sunday. so i will have that to keep me busy, as well as making cookies.
on a stick??? first time doing that.
((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))to all of you.
have a wonderful week-end.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #13 of 13

Looks like you ended up doing a wonderful job aundrea, despite the personal loss you were going through. I am sure mo-mo is happy wherever he is, god bless you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%