Sps System, With Fondant Covered Cake???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm by sugarwishes

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 6

I am in the process of purchasing the SPS system for a 4 tiered cake I have coming up soon.
My question is: If covering a cake with fondant, will the plate show if you use a 8in plate with a 8in cake? I can see it not showing with the cake iced with b/c, because I do ice my cakes to the edge of the cardboard circles.
For those that use this system with fondant, how exactly do you make sure the plate doesn't show??

I hope you can understand my question, it's kinda hard to write down what I am trying to visualize.

Thanks,

5 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 6

Use just as much BC as you normally would underneath the fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 6

An idea is to use a 6 or 7 inch plate and set the cake on it's own 7 3/4 inch board so there's no worries.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 6

i just did a 4 tier baby shower cake usng sps w/fondant cakes. i didn't have a problem with the plates showing. and i used the same plate size as the cake size..

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info.

Sugar wishes: I looked at your beautiful baby shower cake and my question is:
the pillars that are showing between each tier, can they be cut down to where the cakes sit directly on top of one another?

Thanks

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

Yes they can. My brother cut the ones in that cake for me but didn't measure them correctly (they weren't supposed to show) but I ran out of time so just left it. The pillars I used were originally 7" , he used a mini saw to cut each one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%