Gumpaste Rose

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm by dailey

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 14

I need help. I tried making gumpaste roses yesterday and had problems. Petals were limp and after dried for 30 minutes were dry and cracking. Any idea what the problem is?

13 replies
jguilbeau Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 14

I really need some advice, see previous post above.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 14

Hi, are you using gumpaste only? It would be much easier if you mix 50/50 gumpsate and fondant. And also, are you making each petal seperatley? I think using the five petal cutter will be much easier and quicker to make the roses.

jguilbeau Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, are you using gumpaste only? It would be much easier if you mix 50/50 gumpsate and fondant. And also, are you making each petal seperatley? I think using the five petal cutter will be much easier and quicker to make the roses.

Thanks bashini. That was my next step to try, mixing 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I had made the roses before with straight fondant and did not have any problems. Since the roses are for a wedding cake I thought gumpaste would have been best. Thanks again.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 14

when i make roses, i like to used straight gumpaste. i think it gives the most realistic look. what gumpaste recipe are you using? sounds like that may be one of the problems if its cracking?

jguilbeau Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

when i make roses, i like to used straight gumpaste. i think it gives the most realistic look. what gumpaste recipe are you using? sounds like that may be one of the problems if its cracking?

I am using Bakels gumpaste. I think I may not have been rolling it thin enough.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 14

Hi,
Gumpaste roses can get technical. You need firstly - patience. Then an very good gumpaste recipe that I found here on CC. I will try to find the link. Then you need a real good rolling pad so that you can work your paste properly - ruffle, thin, etc. I had a very hard time making my first rose. I hope that you will be able to see some of how I did mine. Oh, and Toneda from on here did a youtube video that will help. Good luck! I will find the link to the gumpaste recipe
LL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 14

Trina....... that rose is AWESOME !!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 14

trina

when the thread open up to your rose.......... i thought it was real

wonderful creation

thanks for sharing

nannie

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 14

Nannie, thank you very much. I will be happy to share anything I can to anyone who needs help, just let me know.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 14

Trina your rose is beautiful. And saying that still doesn't do it justice. I haven't seen roses that pretty before. I hate buttercream roses. To me they are just not pretty. But this is to die for. I would love any advise you could give on making these. I am going to look for Toneda's youtube video. Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 14

I just made a cake and did gumpaste roses for the first time. I followed the directions on a tutorial video I found on the web and I really liked how she uses the foam support for the petals. My flowers did not turn out perfect, but I thought it was pretty good for a first try! I use Lindy Smith's gumpaste recipe from her book and it seems to work good. Here is the website:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/5513_gumpaste-flowers.htm

Scroll down to find all the steps for making the rose. I watched the one on calle lilies too. Hope this helps!

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 14

Your rose is so realistic! I'm making gumpaste roses right now for my niece's cake.....they don't look any where as realistic as yours.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 14

definitely used a pasta roller, makes the petals very thin and even : ) also, i like nic lodges gumpaste recipe, handles very well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%