Candy Melt Question

Decorating By MoiraRD Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 6:01pm by mommymarilyn

MoiraRD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoiraRD Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I am just curious to hear what kinds of melting chocolate you all use when making candy. I have only ever used the Wilton Candy Melts, but I am not the biggest fan of the flavor of the Wilton chocolate. I am interested in trying new chocolates, but would like to hear what others have used instead of the Wilton. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

MoiraRD

2 replies
aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 3

candy melts, merkins, chocolate coating buttons are all usable as coating, even for truffles (which i what i generally use chocolate coating for). candy or chocolate coating wafers are a COMPOUND "chocolate", which makes them easier to work with than real chocolate, since you don't have to temper. however, because of all the ingredients, and the proportion of ingredients, the texture and flavour of these products is not good, and thus i only use them for thin coatings or to do writing on cakes, or sometimes to make chocolate decorations that are eaten along WITH real chocolate cake/ganache/etc. you can find other brands at your local bulk foods store, and you can even buy slabs of coating chocolate if you have access to wholesalers.

so for decoration i think it's fine, but if you're using it to make candy pieces or bonbons that will be eaten on their own, i'd investigate other options.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 3

I just recently bought some flavoring oils but haven't had a chance to use them yet - I'm hoping that will help with the taste. The only Wilton one that I've found that people like "as is" is the chocolate mint - my kiddos LOVE that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%