Candy Clay - Am I On The Right Track???

Sugar Work By janebrophy Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 13

I'm trying to copy some animals off of an invitation for my sister's baby shower, but am not sure if I'm anywhere close to getting a resemblance. I've never used candy clay, and I've never made a 3d character before...any tips welcome!!
Sorry about the bad shots....
LL
LL

12 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 13

very cute little guy!!! Looks like you are doing great!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 13

Well he looks adorable!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 13

I would say you are very much on the right track. Precious lion.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 13

very much on the right track. 2 things though, make his eyes smaller and his mouth thinner. icon_smile.gif

janebrophy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 13

THanks guys! Wish me luck on the rest! LOL!

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 13

That's your first attempt at candy clay and 3D? WOW. You are amazing. That really is very cute.

janebrophy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 13

Ha! Thanks snowflake12! I did take dailey's advice, and made the eyes a bit smaller, and the mouth thinner. It's really difficult stuff to work with, and I'm still now sure why I'm using it instead of fondant?? I don't really love fondant, so I guess that's why I chose this to work with. I've done the lion, turtle, and am halfway thru the giraffe. I'll post a pic of them when they're finished...

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 13

can't wait to see it!

janebrophy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 13

I hate to be a pain, but I need some more help with the candy clay! I'm wondering if there is a way to add some shine to the finished product? There seem to be spots on the animals that look dried out, almost cracked? Is there a way to fix this without starting over??

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 13

There is a product out there called Confectioner's glaze. When I took my chocolate modeling class my instructor told us to use that if we wanted a shine on our pieces. She said it would last forever! My cake shop has it in large containers. There is also a recipe in the recipe section here on CC for "edible varnish". I don't know which product will give it the most shine. HTH.

janebrophy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks Bonnell! I'll give that a try!

janebrophy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 13

Ok, Not sure if anyone wants to see it, but here is the finished cake. I was pretty happy with the critters, although not so much the monkey, which is why it's "hidden" in the back! LOL! Picture didn't really come out right, the colours are kind of dull...Thanks again for the help icon_wink.gif

Oops, I can't attach the pic, it's too big, and it's not from my camera so I can't edit it....here's the link!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1327377.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%