Is This Ok?

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so i had two cake orders for today for two tiered cakes and im worried i may have made them too far in advance.

One was madeira with jam and buttercream (just icing sugar, vanilla and butter) and the other was chocolate sponge with chocolate Buttercream.

I made and iced the madeira on tuesday evening (it is for a party on saturday) and the chocolate one on wednesday night (it is for sunday). I know ive kept cakes like this for up to a week and they've been fine but i just need reassurance! ive had a really bad couple of weeks and now im sitting worrying that the cakes will have gone off or something as they will be out of the fridge for 4 nights before cutting.

Please help!

4 replies
need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 5

I think they should be fine. If you have done this before and everything has been fine then there is no reason why it wouldn't be this time. Take a deep breath and relax. Isn't that why you do them in advance. So you are not going crazy at the last minute like me right now. I've kept cakes for a week also and we gobble them up like if they were fresh.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think they'll go bad. My only concern would be that they may dry out a bit however fillings do tend to keep cakes moist and it all depends on the thickness you iced the final coat with.

I had a cake that I made once which had thin BC and kinda dry MMF on top of that which did not keep the moisture in. That cake sat out for 4 days and was tasty but on the dry side. So now I know to put thicker BC and thicker MMF layers if I am not serving it right away.

Cathy26 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 5

thanks everyone. i know deep down that they will be fine, they had sugar syrup, plenty of buttercream, and were well covered in fondant and also i always steer clear of perishable fillings like ganache or milk, etc in BC but ive had such a bad couple of weeks with bad batches of fondant, raw middles of cakes, etc its like one thing after the other so i really wanted to make sure nothing went wrong with these cakes so i made sure i was well prepared (i even had a nightmare last night that i gave the chocolate cake to the maderia person and vice versa- lol). anyway, thanks as always for the advice.

Cathy26 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

me again! the maderia cake people just text me to say how much everyone loved the cake so im well pleased.

i know the chocolate cake people will text me tomorow too as they are so nice that i know they'l let me know how they get on so at least i know it should be good news!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%