Scratch Bakers - Cane Sugar In Cake Batter?

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 12:21am by samj530

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

Can you guys help me figure this out?!

I have made my recipes so many times, I know the texture, feel, look, all that, by heart. I know what it's supposed to be like when it comes out of the oven.

Yesterday, I wanted to make a yellow cake. It took me all day. I threw out 5 cakes! Finally, I realized I bought cane sugar instead of beet sugar this time. I googled it. I guess cane sugar melts differently. I noticed the texture of my cake is way firmer, like how my cakes usually end up once I freeze and thaw them. There were no crumbs when I took it from the pan, either. It was a solid, stronger cake. I baked an extra one for myself which I'm going to frost and taste today to see how differently this cake tastes compared to the usual cakes.

Anyone else experience this? I also made a white cake from scratch and put it in the Elmo pan. When I took it out, Elmo's face was perfect. Usually, you can barely tell where the nose and eyes are supposed to go. This was a perfect outline. I care mostly about the taste. I'm wondering how different it will be.

An extra note - I also had something SO GROSS happen to me yesterday. When I cracked open my egg, the egg was bloody and there was a partially formed baby chick in there. It was disturbing and I don't think I can ever eat eggs again!!

Thanks!!
Amber

3 replies
therbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therbug Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 4

Hmm im not sure I can help because I have only ever used cane sugar. I dont think I have used beet sugar. It would be interesting to know the reason for the difference though.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 4

OP - Where are you located? In the US, cane sugar is the standard sugar. It may be possible to purchase beet sugar in some specialty stores. In other parts of the world, I know beet sugar is the standard...

As for the egg, that is strange (and gross!). Somehow that egg got fertilized, which I guess could happen if you have eggs coming from a farm where the hens come in contact with the rooster.

samj530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samj530 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 4

I have used both types of sugars over the years & really haven't noticed too much of a difference in cakes and cookies. The only time I really notice a differance is in candy. I never use beet sugar in candy. It just doesn't turn out the same. BTW, although cane sugar is the standard, many store/generic brands of sugar are beet sugar, because it is less expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%