Sad, Hurt And Disheartened...

Decorating By serenelui Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm by serenelui

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #31 of 60

HOOOOLD UP, i think i know what this was all about. She picked up the cupcakes from you and decided to have a little nibble. One thing led to another and oh crap, she's eaten the lot.
Instead of facing up to her dirty little greedy secret, she thought she'd go for the 'THEY WERE RUBBISH' route.

If i she was unhappy, there would be no way she would part with MORE money.
Your cakes are great icon_biggrin.gif

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #32 of 60

Thanks so much for the support SweetOwens and sahrow... you guys really do help to boost my ego icon_smile.gif As for the cuppies, they weren't for adults, they were all for her boyfriend whom i think is around 21 or 22? I'm not sure why she's asking me to do it again for her since she was so unhappy with them.. but i really am too scared to take another chance on making the cupcakes again for her... her about face when she came to collect the cupcakes and her subsequent sms was really a shocker for me...

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #33 of 60

hahaha... that was funny Magnum icon_smile.gif I just told the whole story to my DH and he says that the customer was just weird... i'm just trying to think of a nice way to turn down her request for a 2nd order now... am worried that if i anger her, she might just end up complaining that i gave her food poisoning or something.. yikes!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #34 of 60

You are BOOKED.....until 3014! LOL

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #35 of 60

Aw honey, don't worry about this customer, she obviously (wanting sprinkles) has no taste in design. She should have told you exactly what she wanted. When people don't give me specifics that's when I get leary, So dig a little deeper, make them tell you every aspect of what they are wanting. Icing color, decor accent choices, overall design, etc. As the other's have stated, sounds like she wanted her money back and keep the cupcakes too. Your work is supurb! Don't let one bad apple make you question your passion! Keep on cupcaking girl you rock!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #36 of 60

I have had this happen a few times..They never tell you exactly what they want but when they come and pick it up and go "Oh"...I had a customer order a Baptism cake.She chose a Baby shower cake to go off of and never told me she wanted it white etc..when she came to get the cake she was visibly upset that I had airbrushed the edging pink and was mortified as she said she wanted it white for her daughter's baptism and that her family would be angry ...blah blah blah...She took the cake which by the way was beautiful and really...who would have cared whether it was white or pink...she wanted her money back and I refused because there was nothing wrong with the cake and it was still useable for that occasion...Another regular customer came last month to get a Lightning McQueen cupcake cake and she went "Oh...his name is squished in the corner..I wanted it bigger"..Well I could have wrote right across the whole cake I guess and messed up the entire picture...Again..I stood my ground!! Do not let some ditzy people tear you down and make you feel incompetent!! Your work is Fabulous!!

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:00pm
post #37 of 60

haha... thanks bethola!! will definitely be telling her that i'm booked and won't be able to do her cake for her icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine.. i'll definitely be making sure that i ask any future customers of mine what colour they want in the future.. hard lesson learned this time round.

Kiddiekakes... thanks for the support and compliment!! haha.. at least i've learned my lesson this time round and i'll make sure that i stand up for myself next time.. i'm still really new at all this as a lot of what i've done so far are for family and friends so i guess i still have lots of doubts as to whether or not my work is really that good since i always think friends and family will always be nice and say they like whatever i make :p

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:10pm
post #38 of 60

The cupcakes and toppers are AMAZING!! I think by adding sprinkles, etc. that would take away from the craftmanship and hardwork you placed into each topper. Sometimes, less is more and she received an amazing order!!! I would be proud to give those to my loved one's on Valentine's Day!!
~Jaime

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenelui

boyfriend whom i think is around 21 or 22?

I guess that explains the TEXT message. Yech.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #40 of 60

um,

that lady is smokin' something

those are FANTASTIC! and should not be altered in any way

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #41 of 60

I just saw your precious little cup cakes...they are absolutely adorable! I would be thrilled to have those to give to my family...You are very talented.

Have a Beautiful Valentines Day...you deserve it!

Robin

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #42 of 60

This woman is a clear case of mental imbalance. The fact that she told you she hates them and then asks you to do other cupcakes tells you something about her state of mind. Unfortunately, when you deal with the public you run into people like this who should either be on meds or seeking some kind of help. I am being serious here. She sounds like something is wrong with her way of thinking and handling things. I would have nothing to do with her after this is over.

By the way, your cupcakes, as you well know, are amazing. Just realize this woman has a problem and that your skills are well worth the money you charged. And keep on bakin'!!!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #43 of 60

If she had seen your style before she should not complain. Your cupcakes looked really nice and that takes a lot of time to make each one of those babies! If i where u I would call her and ask her what she felt was done wrong. If you think she is a client worth keeping (I would give it a long, long thought) then tell her next time she makes an order you'll give her a discount (which is why you should have that long thought before you open your mouth). Listen, in all honesty we all have different styles and its ok if someone does not appreciate what you do. Those are the clients you don't want to have...next time she might like to go to Walmart and buy there cupcakes with plastic picks in them and that maybe ok for her. I was told once by a very smart man (my dad) that we are not 100 dollar bills (who does not like a 100 dollar bill?) If she does not like 100 dollar bills she can go get another bill. Don't let her discourage you plus if in the past people have praised you it means you've done good!

c.

SassyBees2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBees2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #44 of 60

AMAZING cupcakes!! I am hopping on the you are awesome, she is strange bandwagon! *lol* Good luck with your "schedule" when you talk to her next. Let us know what she says!

<3 and hugs

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #45 of 60

I agree with everyone your cupcakes are adorable.Don't let this Weirdo get you down because you did a fantastic job.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #46 of 60

Hang in there...I had almost the same thing happen over a cake.( It is in my photos with a crown on it. )
I think it hurts because we are creative artistic people and it is very hard to have someone take shots at our creativity.
I think so many people are starting to see the TV cakes and dummy cakes in magazines...and then they want picture perfect!
Your stuff is great....keep your chin up. Some people are just snarky!!!!

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #47 of 60

thanks for all the support you guys!!! you guys are great!!!

Cookieman, i can't say anything about her state of mind.. but i find her text and in person persona is totally different... so i'll just take it that the world is made up of lots of people and some of them are just plain weird.. haha..

tolodomio, i have a blog of all my cuppies and she says she's seen them before that's why she decided to order the cuppies from me.. but she said the actual cuppies she got did not look anything like the pics on my blog... icon_confused.gif And i definitely don't think i'll keep her on as a client after everything.. icon_razz.gif

Sassybees, i just told her that i won't be available to do her cuppies for her via text and haven't heard back from her since then... so i guess that's it.

Thanks so much you guys for all your wonderful support, and i'll definitely keep baking after all your wonderful comments icon_smile.gif Oh and before i forget.. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!! I'm going to take a long hot shower and forget all about this nasty customer... i've wasted enough time on her already and why let her get the better of me right? icon_smile.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #48 of 60

Some people are just like that. I can't stand it. Your work is awesome!!! Don't let her get to you. Hopefully, she'll never come back as a customer, but if she does, well, price increases are wonderful things sometimes.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

um,

that lady is smokin' something

those are FANTASTIC! and should not be altered in any way

I totally agree with Sugarshack...those cupcakes are BEAUTIFUL!! and yeah, she probably did 'smoke' something and her vision was distorted....adding anything to those beautiful cupcakes would had totally ruined them, helloooo!!!
Refer her to Wal Mart next time, they'll put sprinkles on cupcakes alright!!

serenelui Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #50 of 60

haha... thanks Rosie... i'll make sure i'll refer them to Walmart next time icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much Wingding icon_smile.gif i'm also hoping she doesn't come back after i turned her down to do another batch of cuppies... but even if she does come back i don't think i'll do any more cupcakes for her anymore.. cos i don't think my fragile ego can take it.. hee

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #51 of 60

your wrk is amazing....and that woman must be nutty....oh and by the way if you ever decide to make and sale and ship your figures let me know...i'll be your #1 icon_biggrin.gif

serenelui Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #52 of 60

that's so sweet!! =) thanks dsevans

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:58am
post #53 of 60

Hi serene-

That customer is nutty stay away from you. Your work is A+. I saw your photos and love it.

You will always get customers-maybe (s)he is jealous of your work.

You are an artist.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:25am
post #54 of 60

I am sorry that happen to you, I think that I know how you feel I just had a bad experience 1 week ago and a felt so bad icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif , but now I can tell you don't worry you always going to find people like that just don't pay attention and think that is just one because as you read YOU WORK IT IS AMAZING believe me every one love each other and we see each other as family here on CC but every one is telling you the truth you do such an amazing job, God bless you talent, and keep doing your master pieces thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Frankyia M (frankyola)

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:11am
post #55 of 60

This customer is a liar and is only looking for free cake.
A FREE LOADER kind of customer icon_evil.gif .. If she's not happy, take them back, give her money back and say BYE BYE !!! she should have been more specific. She is looking for excuses not to pay.... Just like any business, you have the right to refuse service..

I hope she chokes from eating cake and croak..... yeah yeah, I know !!! icon_razz.gif

serenelui Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:27am
post #56 of 60

Thanks so much for your compliment bundtdiva and for your wonderful support Frankyola after everyone's encouraging words, i have taken what the customer said with a pinch of salt.

fondantgirl.. haha!! shhh.. i'm secretly wishing that too.. :p

cakesunlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesunlimited Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:50pm
post #57 of 60

Hi
I just wanted to add my twopennyworth.
I have looked at your photographs and your work is absolutely amazing.
Don't let one stupid customer stop you using your God gifted talent.
Sprinkles - tell her to go to Costco if she wants sprinkles!!!!

It does hurt when you have put all your hard work into something and then the customer says they are not happy. I recently had it happen to me. A customer wanted a polymer clay bride and groom topper. They were getting married Saturday and didn't order until Tuesday evening. Wanted full Indian sari for the bride. I got them done as quickly as I could and mailed them out to them overnight special delivery on the Thursday so that they would have them on the Friday in time for their wedding on the Saturday. Really pulled out all the stops.

I sent them an email as soon as I had mailed them with a photograph.

They sent me back an email saying they thought there were awful. They said I hadn't dressed them how they should be [I had worked from photographs they had sent and they were exactly like the photographs] They also said they were not like the original picture they had seen of my toppers. They looked nothing like they had expected and they were soooooooooooo disappointed with them. I was gutted. I emailed back and apologised and pointed out that I worked from the photographs but they must remember that these are representations and not characatures and that the bride had said she didn't want the same as the original pic of my topper.
I said to please call me to discuss.
I heard nothing. Their wedding came and went and I still heard nothing.
So I guess once they saw them 'in the flesh' so to speak they must have been happy - or as some members have pointed out they are looking to just get their money back.

Here is a link to them.

http://www.cakesunlimited.net/topperthumbs/102.jpg

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:10pm
post #58 of 60

cakesunlimited,

WOW! Those are sooo good. How could they not have liked them? I think you're right, they must have been trying to get them for free. They are just too cute & so detailed. GREAT JOB!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #59 of 60

I haven't read all of the responses but thought I'd chime in a bit.

Your cuppies are lovely! They are beautiful just as they are.

However, I don't think this lady is crazy. Most people come into something like this (a cake order) with a picture in their mind (even if they think they don't). It isn't right or wrong to have white or colored frosting, sprinkles or no sprinkles, and it isn't right or wrong to have toppers the size you made or a bit larger. Different people have different tastes and expectations. The issue is whether the cuppies were what the customer was expecting. Our job as the vendor is to draw out of our customers what their expectations are, and then to meet those expectations (or go beyond, as long as our "going beyond" would not be perceived by the customer as "not meeting expectations").

I really think the problem here is that your customer had some expectations that you did not know about. Is her her fault for not telling you? Maybe. Is it your fault for not asking? Maybe. But the fundamental issue is not whose fault it is but rather how to avoid this in the future. Could you possibly avoid the problem next time by your asking more questions beforehand? Almost definitely.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus on whether the customer is "crazy". She is free to have whatever picture in her own mind she wants these cupcakes to look like - it isn't crazy for her to have something different in her mind than you had in yours. I would instead change the cupcakes to meet her expectations, and then learn from the situation how to ask more questions upfront so that you can always please the customer the first time.

If she were nasty or abusive towards you, that is one thing, but your note didn't indicate that. In fact, she gave you an option to fix the situation. As far as her not saying she didn't like them when she picked them up - I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with giving a negative response, especially in person (myself included).

Writing off the customer is certainly your right, but that doesn't help your business. Learning how to better serve your customers, on the other hand, does help your business.

At any rate (and sorry this is so long!!) - do not let your feelings be hurt, and don't be discouraged. This is not personal, and it is definitely not an issue of the beauty of your work!!!! You do lovely work! It is simply a communication problem, and that is all! Don't give up. Hone your communication skills just like you are honing your decorating skills and your customers will love you for years to come.

serenelui Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #60 of 60

Hi Cakesunlimited... your figurines were gorgeous and i loved the detail you managed to incorporate into the sari... i guess i'm not the only one out there to get comments like this and i guess each of us have to learn to thicken up our fragile ego's and not take people's comments so personally. icon_smile.gif

maggiev777.. thanks so much for your comments as well. I agree i should have asked her for specifics in terms of basic things like the colours of the frosting before i even began the order. That's definitely a learning point for me. I also do understand how a person will always have an image in their head even if they don't think they do. However for all the toppers she requested for, i had discussed them in quite a bit of detail with her, even going down to the details for the colours of the toppers. Furthermore, i have done quite a number of toppers like those she requested for and have them posted them on my blog, which she mentioned she had looked at. So i was surprised at her subsequent sms she sent me as when she came to collect the cupcakes she seemed really happy upon seeing them and was exclaiming how cute they were, even staying to chat at my place for a while before leaving. Yet just a couple of minutes later, she smsed me to say that she didn't like them and that they didn't look like what she saw on my website and that the standard of work was poorer than what she's seen me do before. That really threw me i guess.

But i do understand what you are saying and that i should take her reaction as a learning point and not take it as a personal attack of my work. I definitely have learned from this experience in making sure that in future i have to clarify simple things like the frosting colour and finding out from the customer if there is anything that they don't like or should avoid. As for this particular customers, there are other details to the story which i have not included in this post that have also contributed to me deciding not to re-do her order for her. But i do thank you so much for your comments!! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%