Strange Things Happen With Red Food Coloring

Decorating By StaceyCakes75 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm by MacsMom

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:12am
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering is anyone knows when using too much red food coloring does it chance the consistacy of what your coloring?

I made a batch of MMF last night for some valentine boxes and before I added the PS I dummed almost a whole thing of wiltons red into the MM. The fondant turned out very dry and brittle. Then today I tried to color white chocolate red and it too became very hard and dry as soon as I added the red.

Strange things happen with red food coloring icon_confused.gif

6 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:27am
post #2 of 7

Did you use the Wilton oil-based color for the chocolate? If you used gel or regular colors, it will cause the chocolate to sieze and get hard and clumpy... and there's no recovering from that.

I'm not sure though why it would have caused the fondant to go screwy. Do you have any glycerin? I've read that can sometimes help fondant become more pliable as can kneading it with crisco on your hands, also a couple seconds in the microwave can help.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

different colours can do different things - i know with the gumpaste i use, the red dries way faster than other colours, and ive noticed it when colouring fondant too.
xx

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

Yes you used the wrong kind of color for the chocolate. You must use candy colors (they have an oil base instead of water).

BTW OT: where in Orange county are you? icon_smile.gif

StaceyCakes75 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 7

kakeladi, I'm in the Santa ana, Tustin area icon_smile.gif
Are you in the O.C. as well??

StaceyCakes75 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling I did something wrong w/ the chocolate. Its the fist time I tried to color white chocolate. I ened up just adding some veg. oil. and it was ok but not right. I guess you learn something new everyday.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

I use powdered food color when I need red or black for MMF. I use the whole jar (well, I make double batches so 1/2 jar for one recipe) and I still add a little bit of gel food coloring to it for more depth.

The powders at first will have you worried because it takes time for them to dissolve, so you'll see spots of pigment at first. But after stirring it in and kneading and letting it rest, the color comes out beautiful and MMF behaves so much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%