Leaving A Fondant Covered Cake Out

Decorating By cakeladyinri Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm by indydebi

cakeladyinri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyinri Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone, I have a question, if I do a fondant covered cake wednesday night will it be still okay for saturday not being refrigerated?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Theresa

13 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 14

As long as it doesn't have a filling that requires refrigeration, it will be fine.

cakeladyinri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyinri Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks prterrell, thats what I thought and no there will not be any filling.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 14

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. That's just me! I have only left my cakes out overnight w/fondant and that makes me nervous as it is and that's with no filling. I think it's pushing it when you leave it out Wed, Thurs, and Fri and then some of Saturday.
Hope that helps, good luck!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 14

Cake that is covered in fondant will stay fresh for a long time. The fondant actually helps seal in the moisture of the cake. I always start baking my cakes for the weekend on Wednesday or Thursday and everyone always comments about how moist they are. You shouldn't have any problems at all with this.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 14

BakerzJoy...I love your signature...so precious!

I have yet to make a fondant covered cake...so this is good info...Thanks!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 14

Fondant is a great protector of the cake. A client took a cake and had to cancel the party. She served the cake about a week later, (I cringed), but she thought it was just wonderful. So, without filling, your cake should be just fine.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 14

I refrigerate all of my fondant covered cakes. I've never had a problem with any type of fondant (MMF, SI, Fondarific, even gumpaste bows).

They do form condensation as they warm to room temp, so the main rule of thumb is to take them out of the fridge 2 to 4 hrs prior to serving (or delivery/pick-up).

If after 2 hrs it hasn't dried and you need to have it ready pronto, you can use a blow dryer to instant dry it icon_wink.gif But you can't do this immediately after taking it out of the fridge or the condensation will return.

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 14

I always leave my cakes out of the fridge after being covered by fondant.
Some decoration has to be done after the fondant has dried for a couple of days as well.

My cakes are still fresh and moist as well icon_biggrin.gif

I always store the in a box just to keep dust off them and to prevent my son or hubby dropping anything on them icon_lol.gif

Good luck

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 14

I did a fondant covered cake for a class--the teacher stated they would stay fresh for a week w/out problem. I wondered at the time--then ironically, we were unable to eat the cake for a week.

I thought that it would be a good test--so DH and I (a week later) cut the cake. I had just left it on the table, covered. It tasted incredibly fresh. The fondant really does seal in the cake's moisture and flavor.

I really wouldn't worry about just a few days. (Unless maybe you have it in a warm area during the summer . . . ?) HTH!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 14

I'm with London peach on this one. I put mine in a box and they are fine.
One friend cut hers a week after I made it and she said it was lovely. Some cakes can take me 2-3 days to decorate and there has never been a problem with them.

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 14

I made a cake for my sons girfriend, her birthday was just before xmas so I was a bit pushed for time and had to make it in advance.

When I gave her the cake I told her to cut it soon but she liked the cake so much she didnt want to cut it and didnt cut it till 2 weeks after it was baked icon_surprised.gif but they said it was fine.

When I took lessons my tutor did say that the cakes would last for about 2 weeks after baking. I dont know if it is the same for packet mixes, I bake from scratch. I know someone on here will be able to advice you on the length you can keep packet mix cakes.

good luck thumbs_up.gif

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks rockysmom! I am proud, can't you tell? Well, I have to say I will not worry anymore about the cakes being out for awhile! I guess I was just nervous about the outcome because I never tried it. Thanks for the tips!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 14

Yes it will be more than fine. My birthday cake was a fondant cake and I cut the top tier on Day 8 and it tasted fine.

Remember, our grammas left cake out on the counter for days and days and we ate it and loved it! thumbs_up.gif cake isn't as fragile as some make it out to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%