Stupid Newbie Question Re Pastry Pride

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm by Vivalawvegas

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

This my first post and I'm new to caking so please forgive my ignorance (BTW, I am completely addicted to this site now much to the chagrin of my husband and employer!).

I went to Smart & Final and bought: (1) Pastry Pride; (2) Frostin' Pride; and (3) Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme.

Can someone explain the differences between these for me? Obviously, I know the Rich's one I bought is chocolate (I'm not that much of a newbie!) but what does this stuff taste like? Can I decorate with it (can I get it to a medium or stiff consistency)? Or do you ice with it and then decorate with buttercreme or royal icing?

Like I said, I'm new to this so I'd appreciate the Cliff Notes!

TIA!

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 8

Sorry, I've never used any of those products (I make everything homemade from scratch). But here's a bump!

PS - Welcome to CC!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #3 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, Vivalawvegas. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Rich's filling/icing products (with photos and product desriptions):

http://www.richs.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

Pastry Pride vs. Frostin' Pride:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601889-.html

HTH

Vivalawvegas Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 8

One more thing...
Repeat after me -
There are NO stupid questions, there are NO stupid questions, there ARE NO stupid questions....
icon_smile.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 8

I have only used Pastry Pride....I use it in place of whipped cream....It holds well, can decorate with it, no roses, but great for trims and boarders. It can be frozen after frosting....great for icing ice cream cakes....and holds up on a wedding cakes. Like most icings it doesn't like heat, but under normal conditions it holds well.

Not to bad tasting for a fruit basket cake, I know it's not the real thing, which I prefer...but sometimes you need something that will hold up for a few hours and not fall apart.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalawvegas

This my first post and I'm new to caking so please forgive my ignorance (BTW, I am completely addicted to this site now much to the chagrin of my husband and employer!).

I went to Smart & Final and bought: (1) Pastry Pride; (2) Frostin' Pride; and (3) Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme.

Can someone explain the differences between these for me? Obviously, I know the Rich's one I bought is chocolate (I'm not that much of a newbie!) but what does this stuff taste like? Can I decorate with it (can I get it to a medium or stiff consistency)? Or do you ice with it and then decorate with buttercreme or royal icing?

Like I said, I'm new to this so I'd appreciate the Cliff Notes!

TIA!

Glad you got an answer from one of the experts.
First of all, welcome to CC thumbs_up.gif and did you notice the 'Warning' sign at the top of the page?? 'This website is highly addictive" LOL, LOL very true!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to tell you that I've used 'all of the above' and they taste wonderful, (my family loves the taste!) they all have a light whipped cream taste and that's why I'm having a hard time 'upgrading' to buttercream icon_biggrin.gif and yes you can decorate with it.

Important Note**** do not overwhipp or they'll turn like butter and there's no turning back. At that point you can not re-whipp and make it smooth again.---words of experience--- icon_smile.gif

Ok, see you soon! icon_smile.gif

Vivalawvegas Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for the info, advice, and warm welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%