Exhaust Systems

Business By Katie-Bug Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm by KathyTW

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am wondering if someone can maybe help me here.

I have checked with my state/county concerning my requirments for a hood. I have to have a Type1 Hood System, that has a supression system.
Okay, I undertand this, but I am told that based on the size of my building will determine what size I have to buy.
Well, here is the problem...I don't know the size of my building....not that far yet!! I am just trying to get a $ figure to see if this is even possible right now.

So, I am wondering if anyone knows of a chart or something that can tell me what sizes corspond with what size bld?

Long shot I know, but I hadn't try.
Thanks so much, Katie

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 6

Don't know what size goes with what, but the issue is the cubic volume of air that has to be "handed."

Secondly, a Type I hood is only required if you're creating grease/grease laden vapors. That's code-speak for a deep fryer, lines of saute pans. What are you planning to cook? You might also look into only having individual conduction burners. These don't use a flame. It would be enough for most pastry kitchens.

Or possibly a microwave.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Leahs. By buying a small 1/2 size single phase convection oven for my store I eliminated the need for ANY type of exhaust system. Granted I am not a 'bakery" per say, and I know that I will be limited to the size cake I can make but with the cost of an exhaust system - I know I made the right choice for me.

Another thing....it wasn't my HD that has the requirement for the exhaust system - it was my city building dept. So you may want to check with both entities before making any final plans.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 6

Here is what I am looking at. I want to do cakes and catering, which is what I am doing now.

I will have several coolers, both freezer an fridge. I will be using home electrical stoves with ovens. I won't have a deep fryer.

Main reasons for this is the money, I don't want to go in debit for this business. We can't, it's simply what I have saved.
Also, I know that I will be limited to what I can do, but I can manage. Given my location, we never have anything over 300, typical events are 100-150 guest.

I have talked with my HD, they are fine with me using home electrical stoves, an don't really care what kind of hood I have. My state is the one requiring the exhaust with supression. I have explained that I won't be using gas nor commerical stoves and no deep fryer. I have called an emailed, both have told me it didn't matter.
What they haven't helped me with is trying to figure out if this is possible. They say that I would need to get into the buiding with equipment setup an then they can figure what I will need. They don't seem to understand that I need to know before-hand.

Trying to do anything feels impossible with these people!! I want to advance myself. Right now I am operating under some loop hole that says as long as I'm not making X amount profit and not advertising, they don't care. It has been great, but I want to move on up.

Do you know the difference between Type I and II hoods?

Thanks for the help, Katie

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

Type II, I believe is a home-type hood.

You really have to get a copy of the Code, understand it thoroughly and ask a lot of questions.

Is a supresion system actually defined? Is a fire extinguisher a "supression system'"? Seriously, take NOTHING for granted and don't accept a no answer at the first question.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

Be very firm and ask for the exact code section that they are referring to when talking about a supresssion system.....I had a problem with the City because one inspector told me I didn't need a hood and then the next one said I did -- Because I had seen the actual "written" code that said I didn't need one, I asked the inspector to get the book and show me that section - sure enough I proved him in error and actually had him put a note on my permit with the code # in case it came up again.

In my previous - before cake baking etc.- I was a building inspector , there are so many codes to know, it's really easy to make a mistake - so arm yourself with as much knowledge and information as possible !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%