Wax Paper Sticking!

Baking By lhayes1976 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm by cookiemookie

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

I premade and froze my Valentine cookies--first time. WOW what a timesave. But I uses wax paper instead of parchment to separate the layers of cookies. OMG this stuff is sticking like crazy. Does parchment paper do better or would actual freezer paper work too?

4 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

Wax paper is the worst for sticking to things. icon_cry.gif I never use it, I always use parchment paper or if freezing I use the non-stick foil then pack in an airtight container. Hopefully your cookies will be unscathed by the evil wax paper..... icon_confused.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 5

The only thing I use waxed paper for anymore is to line to bottom of my loaf pans when I make banana bread. For everything else it's parchment. The only thing I can think of right off hand is putting them back in the freezer long enough to chill the paper loose, and not sure that'd help you out. Freezer paper is slicker than parchment on one side but I'm not sure about that either. Gee, I'm not much help. Are your cookies finished or plain and ready to decorate? Someone with cookie know-how will be along soon to give you some usable advice. Hold on.

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 5

Just me being cheap again. I had plenty of wax paper. Live and learn. Like I said earlier--freezing is the way to go! So much faster having the cookies premade.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

Are you talking about shapes ready to bake?

If so, there is a little trick to getting them off. I let them warm a bit (I'm talking seconds here) start with a corner and work your way down, slowly.

What I do when I freeze my shapes is right on the cookie sheets topped with wax paper. I use the freezer in the basement . When one is firm, I top with another so they don't get squished. When it's time to bake I just remove the wax paper and in the oven they go frozen.

Lately I like baking them and then freezing before decorating. This works the best for me and makes decorating day a lot less messy. Like today for example I will just take them out of their containers(which are separated by wax paper), put on racks to defrost and in a couple hours decorate. While they are on the racks defrosting, I tint my icing so it will be ready to go in a few hours.

I actually use wax paper alot, even when rolling them out. I use a Silpat on the bottom and wax paper on top then roll(no aditional flour needed). It works great and is cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%