Baby Blocks

Decorating By jahnayjohn Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 4:03am by KrissieCakes

jahnayjohn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jahnayjohn Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 6

I HAVE TO MAKE A CAKE SHAPED LIKE BABY BLOCKS AND HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO CONSTUCT IT . IT HAS TO BE COVERED IN FONDANT AND I'M USING A 10 INCH SQUARE PAN . CAN SOMEONE HELP ME![/b]

5 replies
JB0828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JB0828 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

I have done a couple of baby block cakes and my struggle is always getting the sides to stay square. You will want to cut the 10 inch square pan down otherwise to make it in proportion you would have to make a 10in high cake. I have done two sizes 2X2 squares or 4X4 squares they are in my photo gallery if you want to take a look. Good luck.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 6

No need to shout, we can hear you just fine! icon_biggrin.gif

Are you wanting to make 1 big baby block, or a cluster of baby blocks?

Remember a cube is the same length on all sides. If you are making a 10" square, then you will need the cake to be 10" tall as well. That's approx 5 2" cakes. That's a LOT of cake!!!

If you are sticking with the giant 10" cube, you might need to stick a cake board in the middle (say between the top 2 layers and the bottom 3) and dowels underneath to add some structural support.

For the fondant, you might have better luck rolling out and cutting the panels and letting them dry and then sticking them to the cake.

And welcome to CC!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 6
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 6

if you take a look at thecakegirls.com they have 3 really cute and very well done baby block cakes. (when you go to their site click on specialty cakes, then baby). i love their work. good luck! can't wait to see pictures!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

I swear there is a PinkCakeBox cake for every theme/topic/color/style that you could ever ask for!!! Here are a couple of her baby block cakes - the block itself looks pretty simple the way she has done the fondant. With her method you could easily piece fondant together (if you are doing the one giant block)

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baby-block-cake-2008-03-16.htm

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baby-shower-block-cake-2007-08-12.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%