Improving Wilton Fondant?

Baking By RainGirlLori Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm by sweettoothmom

RainGirlLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RainGirlLori Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 19

I know that Wilton's sucks. I am working on making my own fondant and all of that, but am still new to making fondant so it's not a sure-thing yet (this includes marshmallow fondant).

But for those dire cases when I have nothing else and the local supply shop is out of fondant, and I must pick up Wilton's, then what can I do to improve the flavor?

I already knead in a bit of vanilla and almond extract. Is there anything else I could do to make it more palatable?

Thank you!!

18 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 19

Hi, I wonder if there is anything else that can be done, your right that stuff is just awful. Try making your own though if you can, I was always horrified to do it, and now it's so much easier and better than buying it.

cake-ology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-ology Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 19

Hi!
I have been making my own fondant for about a year now, both with better flavour, you get some better texture and softness too. I have found a source of candy flavouring and I add up to three drops o my fondant. The product is designed for making things like lollipops and hard candy, if you were to get some on your finger and taste it, it's horrible it's so strong. But three drops into 3lbs of fondant, and my fondant tastes like cotton candy icon_smile.gif

I've used strawberry, watermelon and bubblegum. All don't end up tasting like those items, they just have a sweet candy-like flavour.

-Pam

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 19

I just asked this same question a couple weeks ago. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....8055-.html

It was very interesting..... some said to add Kool-Aid. I didn't do this yet (because I didn't have any) but I am wanting to try it.

Good luck!

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks HSterling! I was trying to find that thread and you beat me to it.

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks HSterling! I was trying to find that thread and you beat me to it.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 19

i suggest that you make your own fondant. the mmf recipe is simple to make and inexpensive. i perfer the michelle foster fondant.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 19

I am going to experiment and add some candy clay to it to see if that fixes the taste a little this week. I usually buy Satin Ice, but these days it getting kind of pricey. Wilton fondant may taste funny but it's great to work with... hmmm to bad. I did hear they are trying to improve the taste though so stay tuned

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 19

The only way to improve it is to simply throw it in the garbage. That stuff is absolutely dreadful.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #10 of 19

Instead of throwing it maybe you can just add some tylose in it and use it for sculpting figures or making flowers.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Wilton fondant may taste funny but it's great to work with... hmmm to bad. I did hear they are trying to improve the taste though so stay tuned

Agree. The sad part about Wilton is that I find it's the absolute BEST to work with but completely inedible due to the industrial wallpaper paste-like taste and smell. icon_cry.gif

MMF is one of my favorites, along with Choco-Pan and Fondarific. I've had very good success with all of these in both flavor and workability.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #12 of 19

I add my botched batches of MFF/MFF to Wilton and it tastes just fine and works extremely well. If you do about a 50/50 with a better tasting fondant, the nasty wilton taste goes away icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #13 of 19

I use wilton fondant to cover my cake boards.. .that's about it!!!Or to make flowers,etc...

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I add my botched batches of MFF/MFF to Wilton and it tastes just fine and works extremely well. If you do about a 50/50 with a better tasting fondant, the nasty wilton taste goes away icon_smile.gif

I find this to be true to

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I use wilton fondant to cover my cake boards.. .that's about it!!!Or to make flowers,etc...

Ditto, or anything that you know will not be eaten

jojocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojocakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:19am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Wilton fondant may taste funny but it's great to work with... hmmm to bad. I did hear they are trying to improve the taste though so stay tuned

Agree. The sad part about Wilton is that I find it's the absolute BEST to work with but completely inedible due to the industrial wallpaper paste-like taste and smell. icon_cry.gif

MMF is one of my favorites, along with Choco-Pan and Fondarific. I've had very good success with all of these in both flavor and workability.

Where can I get Choco-Pan and Fondarific? Oh, and what does MMF mean? Please excuse my ignorance but I'm still fairly new. icon_redface.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #17 of 19

I did the same thing as a PP said. I made chocolate MMF (marshmallow fondant) and it didn't come out quite right, texture wise. I think the cocoa made it really dry. I mixed it in with the Wilton's fondant and I got the perfect texture and a wonderful taste.

Worked out good because nothing went to waste.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Hmmm...interesting. I've never tried that but you can bet I'll be trying it in the future! If I can get the same workability of Wilton with a better flavor I'm all for it.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 19

I keep the supplies for MMF on hand seriously it is sooo much better and so easy and fast to make and what store doesnt have marshmallows, powdered sugar, lemon juice/ lemons and food coloring?

I promise if you are afraid of making the MMF you really do not need to be. It is super easy and tasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%