French Cream Icing With Splenda

Decorating By trombonekaren Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 3:29am by rocketmom1985

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone have any experience with the French Cream Frosting made with Splenda posted on the recipes pages? It looks good, but I am making cupcakes to send to my daughters' school and am wondering how well this holds up or whether it needs to be refridgerated. Does it pipe well?? Any help? icon_lol.gif Thanks!

4 replies
rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 5

I was planning on making this frosting tomorrow...for a sugar free cake I made as a craft show donation for the tea room...unfortunately, my sf cake is as flat as a pancake so I am not sure at this point...I may have to "donate" a grocery store sugarfree cake...ugh.

anybody out there have success with this recipe?

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

Ugh! Hope I don't have a simmilar experience!!

Any other ideas out there?? icon_lol.gif I am guessing that the Splenda version is about the same as regular French Cream, so if anyone has experience with that - it would be helpful too!!

Or, other good recipes for low or no sugar decorators icing?

Thanks!!

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 5

OK...I rebaked my sf cake and obviously I screwed somethin' up yesterday... icon_surprised.gif

Today, I made the French BC with Splenda...very easy. Taste is good for a SF frosting IMHO...

Two pointers...I had tiny lil' lumpies in the flour mixture, so I pushed the paste thru a sieve(gross mess but necessary...I hate more cleanup!)

Refridgerate the stuff before you frost. I did a heavy crumb coat which left about maybe 1 1/2 or maybe 2 cups of frosting left without my second coat or any decorations or piping. I think it will be fine for borders and some swirly decor/piping. I will make a second batch later when I am ready to decorate the cake and use some gel colors. I will post my results later this evening....

MY TAKE...this is a good substitute for a pudding based sf icing recipe. I could tell it was sugarfree, but overall the flavor and texture (which was like a whipped cream type icing) was great. I will use this as my "go to" recipe for SF frostings that are not chocolate based.

rocketmom1985 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

Well, I was able to pipe borders and do some simple decor with the FBC with Splenda. It is very soft, but if left in the fridge too long, it gets kinda hard. I don't know if you can do any complex flowers but I am thinking you could do some simple ones.

Good impression thus far, will let everyone know how the cake eaters like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%