The Color Sober?!?

Decorating By gerripje Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 2:37pm by johnson6ofus

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 20

I am making a wedding cake for this weekend actually, and I was just told that her colors are black, white and sober. What the heck is sober? I've never heard of that before. Yikes!!! Of course since nobody bothered giving me any information, she was going to be happy with what ever she got, but I will try to incorporate sober somehow, if I knew what it was! Thanx

19 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 20

oppsite of "puke"? icon_biggrin.gif

johnson6ofus Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 20

my netearch shows it as "mutted" not a particular color... <sigh> . What happen to normal color names?

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 20

I was thinking someone mistyped "silver", but I could be wrong...

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

oppsite of "puke"? icon_biggrin.gif

ROFL!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 20

I would ask her for a color sample. If none is provided I would tell her it will not be included on the cake since there is no description for the "color" sober. How do you mute black and white? icon_confused.gif grey and eggshell?

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 20

Perhaps it's part of the name of the colour - i.e. sober pink or sober gray - and somehow the actual colour they wanted "muted" was omitted. Definitely get clarification from the one ordering. If no answer or they don't know then I would suggest shades of gray or tan.

One search I did on the net got this result - "The color schemes range from pastels and neutral colors to brights, for a sober color palette. The quiet colour scheme centres on black, navy, rust and tan, which adds an element of sobriety to the clothes".

Obviously this was in reference to fashion but I assume it would translate to other things colour-related such as paint as well as for this purpose.

gerripje Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 20

That's all I could come up with, 'sober whatever color'. She'll definately have to bring a sample. By the way....what would the opposite of 'puke' be??icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 20

hmmmmm. green/ yellow puke.... so orange? lol icon_razz.gif

gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #10 of 20

I seriously think something got lost in translation here, I can't find anything about that specific color. Ugh, of course! I can't wait to see it, but that's been the problem this whole time, she's really hard to get a hold of!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #11 of 20

Aah well every puke I have seen has carrots in it and they are orange!!!!! so maybe blue.icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #12 of 20

Don't be shy ... when someone tells me a color I've never heard of, I flat out tell them, "what IS that?" icon_confused.gif

Even when a bride tells me "Burgundy", I'll ask them, "Do you mean
burgundy-red or burgundy-purple?"

MUCH better than guessing wrong.

gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #13 of 20

I have been going through a friend of mine who is a friend of hers and it sure is getting mixed up here! My friend called and they want spice marble cake instead of WASC!!! ARGHHHHH! She is just going to get what she's gonna get!!! Thanx for the suggestions...and I don't think I should remain 'sober' while doing this cake!icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 20

O.K. she called me today and doesn't have time to give me a sample, but said it's a greyish blue.....I guess now I know!!icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 20

This is the first time I have ever heard "sober" as an actually NAME for a color, usually it's used as an adjective for a color that's particularly dull/lmuted. My guess is, either some stupida$$ dress designer "created" this color name for one of their bridesmaids designs, and that's where it came from, or it's really "sober blue" or something and the bride doesn't realize that "sober" is not the full name of the color.

SassyBees2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBees2 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 20

http://www.marniemaclean.com/words/images/0604/leoyarn-thumb.jpg

This link has skeins of yarn and I wonder if it is similar to what you are looking for, maybe a little more grayish... It reminds me of a cobalt blue.

gerripje Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #17 of 20

I think the problem is the bride really needs to 'sober' up!! She is really becoming an extreme PITA!
If all brides are like this, then I think I will never make another wedding cake again!!

gerripje Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #18 of 20

I didn't even see the last post, I think this is exactly what she is talking about. She wanted more of the gum paste flowers that I was making to be this color. I've been making flowers for more than a month, and my friend just kept saying that the couple weren't even having a formal ceremony at all and anything would be good. So yeah, I said sorry, I just can't whip up a bunch more flowers in 24 hours!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:13am
post #19 of 20

Sober is absolutely NOT a color. It is used as either an adverb or as an adjective.

Tell her to sober up.

johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 20

I say, just give her puke... she is making MY head spin icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%