I Really Want To Love Smbc...

Decorating By calivettie Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 3:43am by gerripje

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 15

I really, really, really, really, really want to love SMBC. Believe me, I do. As I always hear rave reviews for it on the forums. And being a bit unhappy with my current "too sweet" buttercream I tried to make it....

...Why does it taste like a stick of butter? I understand there is a ton of butter in there, but I just had an overwhelming taste that did not go over well. My recipe was 4oz egg whites, 8oz sugar, 12oz butter, and 2 tsp vanilla. Did I do something wrong?

Should I add more flavoring?

Or is this just the tast of SMBC?

Can I add shortening to cut some of that buttery texture out???

TIA icon_lol.gif

14 replies
calivettie Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 15

anyone?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 15

Did you use unsalted butter?

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 15

I've been experimenting adding less butter. I've made some frosting out of my mom's old Betty Crocker cook book that's called White Mountain frosting. It is adding the hot sugar syrup into the stiff egg whites. I made IMBC the other night and used the Cake Love recipe that calls for 5 egg whites, 10 oz. sugar, 1/4 cup of water, and 16 oz. of butter. I cut that to 12 oz. of butter and it wasn't too bad. I added probably 1 tblsp of vanilla to it also.

gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #5 of 15

I should add that maybe adding less butter might affect how it holds up, I'm not sure. I haven't ever really used it for anything but filling or on cup cakes. The cakes I made with White Mountain frosting were always eaten right away and that was when I just used to slather it on top of a 9x13 cake for whoever's birthdayicon_smile.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 15

I always use SMBC. You can always add more flavoring to cover up the butter taste. I use lots and it never seems to affect the end product, the only thing I have had trouble with is adding too much gel coloring. SMBC doesn't like being dark colors icon_sad.gif. Anyways, I hope that helps. BTW I use the "Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream with variations" found in the recipe section. It's yummy!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 15

Also, I almost always use 2 Tbsp of flavoring depending on the extract. When I make my irish cream SMBC, I use 1/4 cup of Bailey's ... icon_biggrin.gif Makes for happy baking!!!

calivettie Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 15

Jodie: Yes, I did use unsalted butter....

gerripje: Is the IMBC very different than the SMBC? I wonder if I should try that...

and Stsapph, that sounds yummy!!! It seems I may have just not put enough flavoring in my recipe...

Hmmm... sooo much too think about and go back to the kitchen- make up another batch!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #9 of 15

i've read people complaining about SMBC tasting like a stick of butter, and also read in order to cut the 'too buttery' taste, one must use UNSALTED butter instead of normal salted butter.

i love butter, so all i've ever used when whipping up a batch of SMBC was normal salted butter, and i'm fine with that. but try unsalted instead, you may taste the difference!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #10 of 15

you can sub shortening to make it less buttery or even if you want it to be more stable in hot weather. i like to used organic shortening because its less greasy, imo.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 15

calivettie sorry we must have posted at the same time.. if you've used unsalted & still taste the butter in it.. then i rest my case..

dailey, i never knew we could sub for shortening... i learn something new everyday!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #12 of 15

What's the difference between regular shortening and organic shortening? What's different that makes it less greasy?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

calivettie sorry we must have posted at the same time.. if you've used unsalted & still taste the butter in it.. then i rest my case..

dailey, i never knew we could sub for shortening... i learn something new everyday!

i learned this tip on foodnetwork a couple years ago. icon_smile.gif

organic shortening (i like smart balance) just works best without the greasiness that i noticed in the other stuff. you can always tell when you wash your dishes, it takes *forever* to get the greasy-feel off your hands with regular shortening, not so much with Smart Balance...

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #14 of 15

I meant to say earlier that I use a bit more sugar when I make mine. I like it a little sweeter. So, for 1 cup egg whites, I use 2 1/2 cups sugar, and then 3 cups butter. You do need to add quite a bit of vanilla.
There are also folks that just don't care for SMBC...you may be one of them!

Jodie

gerripje Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 15

The IMBC Itlian meringue differs only that instead of heating the egg whites and sugar, you boil water and sugar to 240 and then pour into the beaten egg whites. Lots of people have said there isn't much difference, but for some reason I have better luck with IMBC for smoothness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%