First Buttercream Two Tier Cake!

Decorating By bashini Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 11:43am by linda2530

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everybody, I'm going to do my first ever buttercream cakes and its two tiers. I'm not worry about the buttercream and getting it smooth. But I mainly worry about stacking them properly as the customer is collecting it. I am using dowels as the supporters. Any help and tips would be much appreciated.

TIA.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 7

Make sure there are enough dowel support and maybe put one down the center thru the whole thing and into the base board. I like to make this dowel long enough that at least 1-2" sticks up to get ahold of making removal easier.
Also if possible have the cake completely finished the night before so the icing has time to harden up/settle which will help it hold together.

Tell customer when they get to venue to remove the dowel in the center by giving it a twist as they pull it straight up. Try to have something that will hide the hole........a leaf, flower or in the center of a flower arrangement.

bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for the advice, kakeladi. Will the board under the top stick to the other cake? Should I sprinkle some powdered sugar before I put the top tier?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I share a computericon_sad.gif
Yes it would not hurt to do that. It still might stick some. If it is crusting b'cream make sure it crusts over good 1st.

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 7

What I do when stacking I make the dowels slightly taller than the cake leaving a little room between the tiers. You can hide the gap with a border .

bashini Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:10am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for the help. Much appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:43am
post #7 of 7

I put a piece of parchment paper, cut the same size as the tier that sits on it between the two layers helps with the sticking issue.
Just remember to tell the person that it is there and to just peel it off. (You know how people can be!!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%