Taking Photos Of Your Cakes, Cookies & Cupcakes

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm by mlharvell

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 6

I was just wondering if you had any tips for taking pictures? I have a really dark kitchen & even with a flash I still get shadows on my cakes. Do you tilt your cakes to get a better angle? Do you "stage" before taking the picture? I'm just curious as I have seen some really amzing photos of cakes/cookies/cupcakes that look like they have been professionally taken, then there are ones like mine where you can see the messy counter top icon_lol.gif
Next question: Do you keep an album of all your work? And if you do, are you printing on glossy paper or just regular paper? (I'm trying to build a portfolio).

Thanks

5 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

I have a tutorial website which has a cake photography tutorial on it. You can see it here:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Photo_tutorial.html

HTH,
Deanna

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 6

TooMuchCake - thank you for that tutorial. Sometimes I will copy a cake picture from CC and fix it for fun.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6

I think Deanna's tutorial is really good.

You might also find some useful information in this posting at Bakerella's blog:
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/09/cupcakes-and-cameras.html
Don't get nervous about all her cool equipment...she gives lots of good tips that that will work no matter what camera you are using. (Scan the comments too, a lot of her readers provided additional tips.)

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

I was just wondering if you had any tips for taking pictures? I have a really dark kitchen & even with a flash I still get shadows on my cakes. Do you tilt your cakes to get a better angle? Do you "stage" before taking the picture? I'm just curious as I have seen some really amzing photos of cakes/cookies/cupcakes that look like they have been professionally taken, then there are ones like mine where you can see the messy counter top icon_lol.gif
Next question: Do you keep an album of all your work? And if you do, are you printing on glossy paper or just regular paper? (I'm trying to build a portfolio).

Thanks

since you've already rec'd great advice on taking pictures i will just emphasize that it is very important to have a portfolio of your work!! mine begins with my class cakes from last spring and everytime i do a cake i add it to my album. i just print them here at home on glossy photo paper and slip them into a photo album so people can flip through my work to get ideas for what they may want and they can see my skill level.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 6

FYI: The flash is what's causing the shadows, not the dark kitchen. You need to shine light near it and then use a manual setting without flash, keep the shutter open longer, and you'll get a picture without harsh shadows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%